In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

glo in the dark sites

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
does anyone know if there is a product available to paint a site with to make it more visible or maybe glow in the dark. thanks

Comments

• cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are special paints marketed for just this purpose, eg:

http://www.siteglo.com/

I've used ordinary glow-in-the-dark paint from the arts and crafts store and it works fine.

Edit:
    Again, for increased visibility (without glow in the dark), there are fluorescent paints specially designed for this purpose.

You can also use fluorescent enamel from the arts and crafts store. Brightly colored nail polish can also work fine.

Edit x2:
    I've put bright red nail polish on the front sight of every gun I might carry. Not necessarily my "first choice" in terms of ideal color, but I just happened to have a bottle handy, and it works great. Takes about 5 seconds to apply and 60 seconds to dry, then I put on a second coat. Every so often (and suprisingly NOT that frequently) I'll touch it up with another coat. Only "trick" is to keep the coats thin, so they dry faster and don't smear or bead up. If you go wrong, you can just wipe it off with nail-polish remover.

I've never tried the specialty made glow-in-the dark enamel on a gun, but I have no doubt it does what its supposed to. If I ever ran into some cheap, I'd definitely use it.

I *have* tried putting ordinary craft store glow-in-the-dark paint into the slightly recessed dot sights on a service pistol I have.

Yes, you do have to "charge" the sights to see the dots glowing, *BUT* to do that only requires a one second flash with a flashlight (or you can hold them close to any lightbult, such as from a desk lamp, car headlight, car interior light, etc), and they'll glow fairly brightly for maybe 10-15 minutes, and dimly afterwards for at least another 45 minutes. The special glow paint has a different luminance curve that requires longer "charging", but also releases the light more slowly, allowing it to stay bright longer.

Sure, this isn't as good as self-luminous tritium sights that glow constantly without charging. On the other hand, the cheapo glow-in-the-dark paint only costs $2, and can be installed in seconds without tools or rezeroing the gun. Tough to argue with that.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    keep in mind, glow in the dark sights require light to glow. if it's concealed all day, they will NOT glow when you draw the gun from the holster. i found this out the hard way. if it's a ccw you're planning this for, i'd highly recommend actual night sights that do not need to be charged with light first.
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks guys. its for a friend of mine for a pin on his bow site. after years of use his old paint had worn off.
  • lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put some on the front sight of an SKS about 8 years ago, noticed it in the gun safe (after sitting awhile with the safe door open) that it was still glowing brightly.

Dan R