In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

P22 & Stinger Ammo

SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Guys, recently I was our shooting my Walther P22 and ran out of the Remington ammo it usually eats. A friend had some CCI Stinger ammo in his bag and I decided to give it a try. When I chambered a round, aparently the slide did not completely close. When I fired the round, the case blew out at the base drenching me in hot powder. On inspection, the case blew out right before the rim. Firstly, I would have thought the weapon would not function unless the slide was completely closed (it couldn't have been open more than 1/16" or I would have noticed). Second, most of the hot gas escaped around the firing pin through the rear of the pistol (basically a reminder why you wear safety glasses). So, has anyone eles ever had a similar incident with their Walther?

Comments

• CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stingers are slightly longer and the slide did not close completely due to the dirt that accumulated from the shorter Remington ammo. You need to scrub the bore and chamber before switching to the stingers. I shot stingers all the time in my P22 with never a problem.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stingers have a longer case then regular 22 long rifle cases in most guns it will still function fine. with a normal 22 cartridge if the slide is not fully closed and the firing pin hits the case it will fully seat the case first and then most times it will be a light strike and the round will not go off . Now to your problem all semi auto have a disconnector to prevent the hammer from falling until the slide is FULLY closed however most any pistol will allow the hammer to drop if slightly before fully closed 1/16 of a inch Check a Glock sometime [:0] can you sat KABOOM at least a 22 stinger did not blow up in your face and ruin the slide and frame.
  • coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very interesting. I thought a 22 long rifle was a 22 long rifle. I had absolutely no idea there was a difference. I only have a couple of 22 sa's but will watch this close when shooting them.
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:So, has anyone eles ever had a similar incident with their Walther?

no sir, but i have had this problem with them using a Ciener conversion in several of my 5.56mm NATO chambered carbines, now that i have a TacSol upper, a Colt M4-.22LR and what i consider the best AR .22LR on the market today is the S&W M&P 15-.22LR, i have pretty much retired the Ciener kits, i must add that they function very well in my old Colt SP-1
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:USN_Airdale Posted - 10/29/2009 : 10:26:24 AM

quote:So, has anyone eles ever had a similar incident with their Walther?

no sir, but i have had this problem with them using a Ciener conversion in several of my 5.56mm NATO chambered carbines, now that i have a TacSol upper, a Colt M4-.22LR and what i consider the best AR .22LR on the market today is the S&W M&P 15-.22LR, i have pretty much retired the Ciener kits, i must add that they function very well in my old Colt SP-1

Not trying to hijack your thread but if I recall in the Ciener manual they say NOT to shoot stingers with there 22 conversions.