In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

iver johnson question

susanolsensusanolsen Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

New to the forums. I was given a Iver Johnson Revolver from a family member and to be honest I don't know very much about firearms. I have been trying to research this gun to find out what kind of ammunition to shoot with it and to find out some other general info. I came across a lot of posts by a Mr. Bill Goforth who seemed to be extrememly knowledgable about these types of firearms. I joined the forum to get in touch with him and was saddened to learn that he recently passed away. I was wondering if there is anyone else on the forum who could provide me with some basic information?

Here is what I can find on the firearm:

Top of Barrel - Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Work
-Fitchburg, Mass, U.S.A.-

Nothing on either side of the barrel

Bottom of Trigger Guard - 40459 (trigger guard is slightly different color and the number does not match the number underneath the plastic grip)

Bottom of Grip - A little worn but here's what I can make out,
?T June 16.96 Aug 25.9?
?PT.16.04. Pats Pending

Grip - Black plastic, owl is facing towards the barrel and not straight up and down. Numbers underneath the plastic grip are:
S25989 Then there are 4 other numbers stamped after the serial number - 20 40

Other Info - It is a 5 shot chamber with an exposed hammer. Seems to be in pretty good shape, some of the silvery finish is pealing off a little bit and you can tell it's been fired a few times.

So my questions are:

What type of firearm is this?
What year was it manufactured?
What type of ammo would be safe to fire from it?
Anything else I should know about it?

Thanks in advance, as I said I'm not very familiar with firearms and this was a gift so I just figured I should find out everything I can before cleaning it up and attempting to fire it. Have a great weekend!

Comments

• susanolsensusanolsen Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just became the proud owner of an Iver Johnson .22 Supershot Sealed Eight. The serial number is 1770. Wondering when it was made. Where is the Iver Johnson man when you need him.
    edited November -1
    Greetings

I have an Iver Johnson revolver......
    1896 last patent date
    serial # 8851 on the left side of grip strap
    7 slots for cartridges

Can someone tell me about this neat little babe? (maybe WEG)
    It was my great grand-dad's who was a US marshall, sheriff, etc

thankyou........Susan
    edited November -1
    If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

I have bought an Iver Johnson.

The description is thus:
    Caliber is .32 rimfire. Overall length of 7" with a 2 ?" octagonal barrel. The gun was originally nickel plated with about 50% of the plating remaining, mostly on the barrel. The action works well. Five-shot fluted cylinder. Top strap is marked "I.J. DOUBLE ACTION/MODEL 1900." Two piece checkered hard rubber grips with owl head motif are in fine condition showing only very light wear. Serial number 42955 is stamped on the butt.

Image is here:
    http://www.dixiegunworks.com/images/16428.JPG

I need to verify this is 1908 or older as I wish to import to the UK. My question is there a book scan/reference I can view or someone could email me to enable me to validate this? No great details needed, just the date & any proof of such.

Thanks for reading & I look forward to any replies.

Best regards
    David
  • b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    susan,
    the only 7 shot cylinders iver johnson made were chambered for the 22 rimfire cartridge, in the safety automatic hammer revolver. serial number 8851 without a letter code on the left side of the grip strap was an early 22 rimfire model. i am going to need to know the exact markings on the top barrel or on the bottom of the butt and then all i will be able to give you is the era that these markings were used.

as of right now there have been no letter codes observed on the first and sceond model 22 rimfire. these were a very low production item. production picked up a little starting with the third model hammer version but not much. the 22 rimfire version of the safety automatic revolver was far behind the 32 and 38 versions. the only factory serial number listings start with the third model in 1910. the letter code used then was E for the hammer model and with F (in 1911) for the hammerless model. starting (1910) with E01 and going to E38450 in 1941 and F01 (1911) to F6200 (1938) for the hammerless models. i doubt there were that many more than that for the first and second models total.

the highest serial number i have recorded for the first and second models have been 25477 (no letter code) its patent dates indicates it was made between 1905 and 1906.

bill