In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

buttstock for a Win. model 61

R SquaredR Squared Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
trying to locate an original Win. buttstock/plate for a model 61 .22cal. The fore-end has 17 grooves and is 8" long. The gun has a round 24" bbl. and the loading port is bullet-shaped. It has a 6 digit serial # beginning with 330. I've found a couple of sources for currently fabricated stocks but nothing yet for an original. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks R2

Comments

• Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course you might get a 1950's match for yours but odds are much better with a replacement stock. Even if you got one from the same age, it might not match yours in finish. Get a new replacement then keep looking for an original.
  • 22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watch the auction sites for awhile, including flea bay, as you may be surprise at what turns up. I have a really nice Win 63 which had a chip out of the toe of the butt stock. Watched the auction sites like a hawk for awhile and bought a used one that was pretty decent. Before that one arrived a new "old stock" original winchester 63 still in the original packaging was offered. Bought that too. However, as Old Hickory notes, the finish didn't match so had both the forearm done to match. Technically still not original but looks great and has the "right" butt stock. If you don't find one after a while you can go the replacement route.
  • shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you try posting in the "Want Ads" at the very bottom (way under the ASK THE EXPERTS)? You will have a better chance there.
  • R SquaredR Squared Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all who responded. I'm taking your advice and ordering a replacement stock and have placed my request in the "want ads" section. R2
  • idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out this site if you haven't already.
    http://www.gun-parts.com/winchesterstocks/