In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tactical Scope for .223

jdcrgcjdcrgc Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello ive got a savage 10fp in 223 and need a scope. Whats the cheapest and best deal for the money out there?

Comments

• Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's no such things as the best cheapest deal. With scopes you get what you pay for. One would need to know what you plan on doing with this rifle before giving you a reasonable answer. There's to many options out there without knowing your primary use.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Natchez has the Simmons White Tail Classic 6.5-20x on sale for $70 right now... I have one on my Savage in 22 magnum, it is great - real close focus (25 feet) or way out there, clicks adjust properly (shoot the square), very good scope for the $.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How cheap(inexpensive) and how good do you want? There are some inexpensive scopes that aren't that bad, but don't do adjustments and keep within 200 yards. IMO these are Bushnell trophy, Simmons, nikko-sterlen Nighteater and maybe a tasco.

Step up, to a Nikon Monarch, Burris Fullfield or Signature, Bushnell Elite and Sightron SII or SII Big Sky. These will be more than enough for most shooters, have good enough glass for 400yds+, and should have fairly good repeatable adjustments. I've used the 1st and last of these, have friends with the others.

If you need more scope, while I doubt that on a 223, then Nikon Monarch Gold or the new Monarch X, Burris Black Diamond and it just goes up from there.

I think the middle would be the most bang for buck. Great hunting scope, good enough for some paper punching. Just my opinions, hope that helps.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jdcrgc
    Hello ive got a savage 10fp in 223 and need a scope. Whats the cheapest and best deal for the money out there?
    Don't go over a 14 power scope for the .223. Just not worth it.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to look at the Sightrons SII. I just put one an a Cooper Model 38 in 17 FireBall. I got the 6.5-20x42 MD version. Very good clearity, and crisp adjustments. I have used Sightron before, and though they are a young company, they are dependable for quality.

That said, they are on par with the corresponding lines from Leupold, and Nikon, but are not no Burris, Nightforce or USO.

Best

EDIT 1:

Stay away from Simmons, Bushnell, and Tasco, unless you plan on buying another scope right off. They are comparatively JUNK, and in a semi-auto, will self destruct.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    . I dont usually get over a 10x scope for a .223remington..

That said, Burris has some deals on scopes and scope packages..

burris fullfield tactical
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144904295
  • Options
    vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi jdcrgc. just read a very informative article about optics in American Rifleman or Field & Stream, don't recall which but the long and the short of the article was......... when looking for optics, some advertise multicoated lenses and some advertise fully coated lenses but this does'nt necessarly mean all the lenses, so the article states, but it did state that if they are advertised as fully multicoated lenses then one is garanteeded all lens surfaces are coated which garantees better light transmission. was just glancing through a midway flier and the only manufacturer that advertised fully multicoated lenses was simmons. for what it's worth.