In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger Vaquero New vs Old

gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
How do I know if it is a new or old model Vaquero if I am looking at it? I kn ow one is smaller than the other but if I do not have a side by side comparison what do i look for?
Thank You

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    The old one just says "Vaquero" on the left side of the frame where the new one says "New Vaquero".
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Thank you Spider. [8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gap1916
    Thank you Spider. [8D]

Here ya go: old on top and new on the bottom. You're welcome!

pix18127000.jpg
    pix711681093.jpg
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New models have a 510 serial number prefix.
  • 2xbyu2xbyu Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And original Vaqueros have a 55 thru 58- two digit prefix.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old one just like the first pic, 4 3/4 in barrel (I think) and bright SS finish. I'll load it with some "near magnum/Blackhawk" loads on occasion, and it handles them just fine. From what I've read the New Vaquero is trimmer so it's more "Colt like" in dimensions than the originals, and according to the articles they should be shot with more "Colt-like" rounds than the older models. I've seen them and they do look better than the old models (if you're like me and find the Colt lines about perfect).
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    I have an old one just like the first pic, 4 3/4 in barrel (I think) and bright SS finish. I'll load it with some "near magnum/Blackhawk" loads on occasion, and it handles them just fine. From what I've read the New Vaquero is trimmer so it's more "Colt like" in dimensions than the originals, and according to the articles they should be shot with more "Colt-like" rounds than the older models. I've seen them and they do look better than the old models (if you're like me and find the Colt lines about perfect).

The "old" Vaquero will hold hot loads that the "new" one will not.