In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shoots two for one.

JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have an Pederson 1500 over/under 12g shot gun that shoots trap loads as designed but if I put heavier charged loads in it it will fire both barrels almost simultaneously with one trigger pull. With the stock removed I see a small screw on the rod that selects which barrel the trigger will fire, is this by chance an adjustment for heavier loads or am I just screwing up by running heavier loads through the gun?

I figured before I go monkeying with it maybe I would ask. Also I could not find a schematic on this shotgun so I'm sorry for my lack of proper terminology.

Thanks for the input so far, this is an inertia switched trigger.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You now own an illegal unregistered machinegun by definition.

CP
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Your gun is "doubling" because something is wrong with it. Have a gunsmith that is knowlegable about double guns look at it. Something is either worn or broken.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with both above posts. Likely sear worn or dirty. Trip to the smith.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    It is possible that YOU are causeing it to double, try firing your heaveyer loads and realy pull back on the trigger and HOLD it back until you are back on target. I have had some cheaper imported shotguns that will fire the second barrel from what I call 'trigger finger bounce'.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wasn't there a trigger for over unders that fired both on the pull and the release?

Believe it was called a release trigger.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I've only seen release triggers that fire upon release; not pull AND release. Mostly in Europe.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Release triggers are usually on trap guns and only fire upon release.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the trigger inetia/recoil or mechanically set. Inertia/Recoil is where the recoil of the shotgun sets the second trigger, Mechanical is the second pull on the trigger sets the second trigger.

Browning Citori's are recoil. If the first shot does not fire, the second shell cannot be fired.

Wincherster 101's are mechanical. Whether the first shot goes off or not, the second shot can be fired when the trigger is pulled.

You can check this by putting snapcaps and pulling the trigger twice. If it doesn't go off for the second shot, bump the butt of the stock on the floor and pull the trigger again and see if it goes off.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    Is the trigger inetia/recoil or mechanically set. Inertia/Recoil is where the recoil of the shotgun sets the second trigger, Mechanical is the second pull on the trigger sets the second trigger.

Browning Citori's are recoil. If the first shot does not fire, the second shell cannot be fired.

Wincherster 101's are mechanical. Whether the first shot goes off or not, the second shot can be fired when the trigger is pulled.

You can check this by putting snapcaps and pulling the trigger twice. If it doesn't go off for the second shot, bump the butt of the stock on the floor and pull the trigger again and see if it goes off.

Excellent info, above!!!
    You just told me what to avoid!!! I had no clue such a system existed!
    That 'inertia' nonsense effectively reduces the 2nd barrel to naught if the first barrel doesn't go 'bang'! It's an empty gun! What a crock! Geeeez, Louise! Joe
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    givette, The strong criticism of the inertia system for changing barrels for the second shot flies in the face of Browning engineering and thousands of satisfied Citori customers.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Herschel. I shot from the hip in my response. Sorry.

It's a good gun, I'm sure. I won't buy one, because the system is only as good as the ammo used in it.

It's just not for me. Not the quality, mind you, but the concept. Best, Joe
  • Options
    JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys, spoke to a local smith today and he asked me "do you want to shoot target loads or magnum loads" to which I replied either or both, he repeated his question.[xx(] So basically he says the inertia mechanism can be adjusted for heavier loads but that the trap loads my no longer switch the trigger.

In light of this I figure just continue to shoot target loads through it a sit works flawlessly with them. Anyhow I appreciate the attempts to help.