In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who here is familiar with a Military Sniper Round

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
from the Vietnam Era that is identical to the .300 Win Mag A.I., but almost 1/8" longer from the belt to the shoulder.?.? The head is also stamped with a backwards 300 to the left of REM-UMC. Anyone here know what this cartridge is??? The only other differences I notice are a longer neck and I'm not 100% certain that the taper is completely blown out like the .300 AI. Thanks!
[:)]

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only one that comes to mind is the .308 Norma Magnum, but I dont think it's that much longer then the .300 Win Mag.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    300 AMU, Army Marksmanship Unit, and it was a target round, not a combat round.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    300 AMU, Army Marksmanship Unit, and it was a target round, not a combat round.

Thanks...did this use something like a 172 or 178 grain bullet? I think that's what the fella who gave me the brass thought he weighed them at. I would not be surprised if they were getting 3400+ fps...
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ECC,

.300 AMU

300amuimprovedtargetcar.jpg

The bullet in the .300 Improved AMU has a hollow point. The dimensions of the case are:

bullet - .308"

neck - ..335"

shoulder - .485"

base (above the belt) - .507"

base (at the belt) - .525"

rim - .523

case length - 2.770"

overall length - 3.741"

Best.

ADDED:

From Ammo-one:

300amucomparisondetail.jpg
    300amucomparisonheadsta.jpg

Best.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Thank you gentlemen. A customer had some brass and a few loaded rounds and wasn't sure what they were. He was told that they were brought back from Vietnam...where they were used in combat.
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an unopened box of the stuff but not sure of the date.