In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lyman WJS peep sight question

DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a lyman peep sight that I just acquired for my pre 64 mod 70.It looks Exactly like a 48 except on the base under the release button all it says is LYMAN WJS and no number, but when the bridge is removed, 86N is stamped both on the backside of the bridge dovetail and in the base dovetail. It almost fits but the very bottom of the overhang on the base touches the stock before the screws are tightened. I have an old Parker catalog with 2 pages of Lyman selection info including military and nowhere can I find 86N. The sight appears to be an early version because the grid on the bridge is fastened with 2 screws on the top. Any ideas or thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dokey, The WJS is the application code, in other words there would be a 48 WJS and a 57 WJS. The 48 being the better sight of the two. The 86N is assembly numbers. It should appear on the base the windage/elevation slide and I believe somewhere else that I don't recall. WJS means it will fit the model 70 and model 54 Winchesters, models 700, 721, and 722 Remington, Savage Model 110 and Weatherby Mark 5. The 48 and I believe the 57 have either of two kinds of adjustment knobs. The hunter type have round knobs with a slot for a coin or screwdriver by which it is turned. The target type have knurled knobs that are designed to be turned by hand. Hope this helps. It is common to have relieve a little wood to make the base fit. The later type Lyman 48 sights came with a shallow base that was designed to be installed without removing wood. The early Lyman 48 had the elevation scale numbered to 125 (standard length slide) and 150 (for the long slide). At least the Lyman 48s for the 1903 Springfield had those length slides. Later, post WWII, slides are numbered to as low as 60.
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Herschel for the info. The sight has the coin slots for adjustment. The rifle is too pristeen to start messing with removing wood to make the sight fit.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello donkey a good machinist should be able to take a mill and just relieve the metal that would touch the wood