In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-06 in 30-03 rifle ?

allegrettiallegretti Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Is it safe to shoot a 30-06 in a rifle chambered for the 30-o3 ?. If not exactly unsafe are there other reasons the shorter 06 should not be fired in the 03? I am thinking of buying a Winchester 1895 in the 30-06 caliber because I have lots of ammo but but also have seen a very nice 1895 in 30-03. I would not be doing a lot of shooting but want to shoot it some. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    ikedaikeda Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't say what kind of 3006 you have. But assuming the 1895 is in good shape there should be no problem.
  • Options
    allegrettiallegretti Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks to all for the imput. I knew that the 30-06 would of course would chamber in a 30-03 . The reason I asked if there might be some reason why one wouldn't want to do this was the exactly the fact that almost all of the 1903 Springfields (A few escaped I'm told) were redone for the 30-06. I wondered that if the 30-03 chamber was not guite good enough for the new 30-06, then if one should avoid putting an 06 in any 03 chamber for whatever reason.
  • Options
    colt423colt423 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 30-06 cartridge replaced the o3 which was original round for o3 springfields. few were produced first 3 yrs. New powders and technology allowed for faster long range round 30-06 ,which was more what the U.S. wanted for there mauser copy. Royalty was paid to mauser for few years for 03 being so close to mauser design.
    The versatility of the 03 is limited, the 06 is much better cartridge all around the 03. I use the 06 im biased. Ther are several books about the o3 springfields that address the 06 development after there was all ready a 03 round.