In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Type 1 vs Type 2 NM Garand

iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm curious about the differences in a Type 1 and a Type 2 National Match M1 Garand.

Any thoughts, info, etc anyone?

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    NM M1s are an entire collector niche and there are at least 7 variations of M1 NM rifles that I am aware of...And this is not my M1 field. The first 800 Type 1 rifles were all newly built while the remaining 14,000 or so were a mixture of new rifles and rebuilt rifles produced between 1953-56. The Type 2 rifles were all rebuilds produced between 1957-58 and this where you'll find the first * (star) marked barrels. The Type 3 rifles followed and there are four variations of the Type 3.
  • MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    Basically, Type 1 NM rifles were production guns that were selected after routine test-firing showed they shot better than average. They were also subject to "minor gunsmithing" (in racer terms, think "blueprinting").

After TPTB decided that it was okay to allow modifications, the Type 2 was born, including glass bedding as a distinctive feature, among other mods. (SA bedding was neatly contained in precisely machined grooves in the stock and is not visible when the rifle is assembled.)

BTW, the terms Type 1 and Type 2 where never official nomenclature, but were coined by collectors.