In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Storing Guns in the case or out?

U2BonoU2Bono Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
I've read the all the pros and cons of the foam cases and cloth cases, so is the consensus among experts that guns should be uncased in my safe? Or cased? I have original boxes, nice expensive Cabela cases, and the old fashioned padded cloth style cases. Are you all saying cases are bad and that the guns are best stored uncased?

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And, gunsocks are a good idea so that they don't get dings in your safe.

Neal
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Conventional wisdom says uncased. That said, EVERY time I have stored uncased I've found rust. In a safe with a golden rod mind you! In cases, never an issue- and when I didn't have a safe it was the same problem in the damp attic.

So go figure.

Main thing is to lightly oil the metal before putting them away.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    If you oil the metal and keep the humidity controlled you can store them in the box or the case. CONTROL the enviroment! That means no extreme temp. changes. Do your part, and they wont rust.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The biggest issue is not if its in a case or not in a case.

What matters is that the guns are kept DRY.

That means a light coating of oil to prevent rust, avoidance of high-humidity conditions (to the extent possible. . .dehumidifiers help), and avoidance of cold-to-warm swings in temperature (which can promote condensation of moisture).

One big reason you store guns in the safe UNCASED is that the safes are expensive, safe space is at a premium, and the cases take up a lot of room. In other words, the more cases in your safe, the less room for guns.

Now *IF* the gun is NOT stored right or (worst possible thing) put away in a WET case, THEN you've potentially big problem since the case itself may retain moisture, making rust problems worse.
  • Options
    ikedaikeda Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live on the gulf coast. I store in a safe in the garage, with a goldenrod, UNCASED. Never had any rust on my guns. I clean them before I put them up and they are DRY and lightly oiled.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    +1 on Beantown!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    U2Bono,

Uncased in your safe or vault.

Dry or not, oiled or not, the foam used in some gun cases is harmful to the firearm and the finish. Some of the foams degrade and disintegrate causing harm to both the wood and the metal on your firearms if the firearms are left in the case for long periods of time.

If you feel that the firearms need some protection from handling in and out of the safe, use clean old cotton socks and tee shirts that have been washed thoroughly which you can lightly wrap around the points of contact.

I also use little 'Dixie' cups over the front of my scopes to ward off dust.

Best.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have guns stored both ways because of space limitations. Go over them all periodicaly. Seem to have less problems with guns in cheap cases. Golden rod seeme to help where space and power is avaliable.
  • Options
    texfarmertexfarmer Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wipe your guns down with a soft cloth sprayed with WD-40 before placing in safe or case.