In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage Barrels, 110/116 interchange?

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Is it possible to use a 30-06 barrel from a Savage 116 to replace the '06 barrel on a 110? A buddy of mine has a 110 in 30-06 and the barrel is TOAST! Huge pits in it. Throws real consistent 1 foot groups at 100 yards. I'm trying to find him a new barrel and there's a stainles 116 '06 on gunbroker for a decent price.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call savage and ask them. Depending on the age of the 110 receiver I think it maybe a yes or no question. In any case, the thing will still need to be head spaced. It would probably be cheaper just to buy another 110 in 30-06 and sell the other as a receiver for parts. You can get a 110 with the plastic stocks in the 300-400 range if you look around.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, a new gun was my first suggestion too, but this one was given to him by his dad so there's a bit of sentiment involved there... Which I fully understand. It's a mid 60's gun, I'll get ahold of Savage and see what they say.

Thanks!
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes they do. Same barrel thread, same barrel nut.

Edit:

Barrel channel may be different in the stock though.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the 110 is 40 years old or so there may be a difference. Does the rear sight sit on a "bulge" on the barrel? On rifles this old, the bolt face is different from later models. I switched a barrel on one like this and the bolt head has to be switched also. The ejector is in the bolt head on the newer ones so the old ejector must be removed from behind the magazine housing.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    If the 110 is 40 years old or so there may be a difference. Does the rear sight sit on a "bulge" on the barrel? On rifles this old, the bolt face is different from later models. I switched a barrel on one like this and the bolt head has to be switched also. The ejector is in the bolt head on the newer ones so the old ejector must be removed from behind the magazine housing.

I was thinking the bolt was different. I don't know what year that would have been changed though. I know that anything from 94 on would work, but what year they made the changes is beyond me.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck

I was thinking the bolt was different. I don't know what year that would have been changed though. I know that anything from 94 on would work, but what year they made the changes is beyond me.

You aren't thinking of the model 340/SA 840 are you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks folks! Lots to go on here. The amount of knowledge that is available here just for the asking is amazing! I really appreciate everyones input!