In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Strange Bullets

BandR FirearmsBandR Firearms Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Has anybody ever seen these, or know what type of bullet/caliber they are? Bottom of the bullet says R A 4 (if this is any help)

-looks longer then a .44 magnum
-has red bullet head. (i'm not sure what it is made of)

IMG_2154.jpg

Thanks,
Brett

Comments

• countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Some type of shot cartridge by the looks of it and for a semi-auto pistol guessing by the rim design. Maybe 45ACP???
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .45 ACP shotshells.
    Probably made out of .308 or .30-06 rifle brass but I don't recognize the headstamp.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    .45 ACP shotshells.
    Probably made out of .308 or .30-06 rifle brass but I don't recognize the headstamp.

45acp shot cartridge by Remington Arms, 1944 manufacture (ground the 3 off of the '43 bunter, and reused it in '44). In collector circles, this is a fairly common cartridge.
  • coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of questions about this cartridge; will it actually cycle in a 1911 style 45 ACP, why were they necked down, I was under the impression that case length was fairly critical on semi-auto pistols so wouldn't necking them down screw up the head space?
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CCI makes shotshells for the 45 acp. Look like those except the case is aluminum. These fuction fine in my 45.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by coledigger4
    I have a couple of questions about this cartridge; will it actually cycle in a 1911 style 45 ACP, why were they necked down, I was under the impression that case length was fairly critical on semi-auto pistols so wouldn't necking them down screw up the head space?

CD
    IIRC they won't cycle a 1911, requiring a manual working of the slide between shots. These were intended for survival usage IE: shooting a rabbit of bird for dinner
    See the shoulder on the case? It's in the same location as the mouth of a standard 45ACP case, the reduced portion is where the bullet would normaly be. The reason for the extended case is to hold the shot, the mouth is "sealed" with a top wad just like the old paper shotshells used to be.

Bottom row, center, is another one like the posters, next to a 45acp Thompson SMG riot load, you can see that the shoulder and mouth line up with each other
    Cartridges020.jpg
  • coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you, now it makes sense. I didn't realise that the shot case was longer than the 45 ACP case.