In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What butt plate for 94 winchester

diamondpetediamondpete Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have reviewed the serial number ranges for the Winchester Bert has posted. My question has to do with what type butt plate that would be on a 94 SN1355588?? I was told and the green stripe book of manufacture dates puts it as mfg around 1943. The 94 in question came with a red head rubber pad and I want to replace it with the correct type for that time period. I also have a 94 SN1890932 that the green stripe book list as mfged around 1951. Would that butt plate be the correct one for the 1943 model?? Thanks.

Comments

• MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not an Expert on this one...however...it would be my guess that if it says Winchester on the tang...it probably had the older butt plate with the horizontal lines. If the tang is plain, I would guess the newer plate with the full-checkered design would be appropriate. I have both and just checked if there was a difference in the size that might tell the story...but they appear to be the same size. I don't ever recall seeing a plain tang Model 94 with the old design.
  • diamondpetediamondpete Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, it has the plain tang, so the checkered butt plate on the 51 should work.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At about SN 1,090,000 Winchester standardized on the flat, checkered, steel butt plate for M94 carbines. That style remained standard until the 1964 fiasco. For a short while, from about SN 1,050,000 to the above number, the standard butt plate was steel with serrations in the central portion between the screw holes.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by truthful
    At about SN 1,090,000 Winchester standardized on the flat, checkered, steel butt plate for M94 carbines. That style remained standard until the 1964 fiasco. For a short while, from about SN 1,050,000 to the above number, the standard butt plate was steel with serrations in the central portion between the screw holes.

Once again glabray, you are completely full of horse manure[xx(]. You really need to stop trying to answer Winchester related questions, as it is extremely clear that you have no idea what you are talking about. Read (and learn from) my response to diamondpete.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by diamondpete
    I have reviewed the serial number ranges for the Winchester Bert has posted. My question has to do with what type butt plate that would be on a 94 SN1355588?? I was told and the green stripe book of manufacture dates puts it as mfg around 1943. The 94 in question came with a red head rubber pad and I want to replace it with the correct type for that time period. I also have a 94 SN1890932 that the green stripe book list as mfged around 1951. Would that butt plate be the correct one for the 1943 model?? Thanks.

Serial number 1355588 is on the cusp between the serrated steel style butt plate and the flat checkered steel butt plate.

Winchester used the standard Carbine style butt plate through the end of the year 1936 (circa serial number 1127000), then switched to the serrated style (formerly used on the Model 55) at that time. There was a 5-month period from January 1937 to May 1937 when both types were used. The serrated style butt plate was used exclusively from May 1937 through December 1945 (circa serial number 1350000), then was replaced by the flat checkered steel butt plate over a period of about 5-months. The first serial number I have recorded in my survey with a flat checkered steel butt plate is 1350149, and the last serrated steel butt plate is 1366633. Between those two serial numbers is a random mix of the two types of butt plates. Your gun could be correct with either type. The flat checkered steel butt plate was introduced in late 1945 (at circa serial number 1350000), and was used through the collectable era that ended at the end of 1963. For those who are interested, I have a very detailed survey of Model 94s covering the 1924 - 1963 timeframe, including the Polishing Room Serialization Record Book information for that time period.

I will repeat this for everyone's benefit... truthful (a.k.a. glabray) is completely full of horse manure in regards to this question... I have positive proof that directly contradicts his false statements.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert, I'd like you to send me the latest info on your survey. Thank you.

EDIT: On the way, Bert.
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Bert, I'd like you to send me the latest info on your survey. Thank you.

Please send me an email
  • k7grck7grc Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:

Winchester used the standard Carbine style butt plate through the end of the year 1936 (circa serial number 1127000),

Bert

I just pick up a 94, 30 WCF serial #1128969 it has the Carbine style butt plate.

When I get home I'll update you with the rest of the configuration.

thanks,
    Gordon
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by k7grc
    quote:

Winchester used the standard Carbine style butt plate through the end of the year 1936 (circa serial number 1127000),

Bert

I just pick up a 94, 30 WCF serial #1128969 it has the Carbine style butt plate.

When I get home I'll update you with the rest of the configuration.

thanks,
    Gordon

Hello Gordon,

Your new (old) Carbine is in the transition period between the traditional carbine butt plate and the serrated butt plate, and as such, it does not surprise me that it has the older carbine style butt plate. The serial number places its DOM in May of 1937.