In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

25-20 SS is actually a 25-20wcf Help!

Pathfinder1758Pathfinder1758 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Took Stevens Favorite to gun shop today after discussion here on forum. Tried a 25-20 single shot round, but case was too long, so we tried 25-20 WCF and it fit...............so here's my problem. From what everyone has said so far the "Favorite" action is too week for 25-20SS much less 25-20 WCF. The option would be to reline bore to something less potent........If my only option would be to go rim-fire, I'd probably rather sell it. When I bought it, I assumed that because it was chambered for 25-20 it would have been the a stronger frame. Being unfamiliar with Stevens, I may have been hoodwinked!
.32 SW was a possible suggestion???

I wanted a "traditional" style single shot varmint gun...........I may be still looking@%&*#!!!

Any suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Cut your losses and sell the rifle if it IS a FAVORITE. they are too weak IMHO . Stevens made a model 44 and a model 44&1/2 the later is a very good rifle for a single shot target/hunting rifle
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I recall the .25-20 Winchester and the .25-20 Single Shot are not all that far apart balisticly. That being said, I would not personaly be comfortable shooting it. Saw a Stevens Marksman on an auction awhile back that had been converted to .22 Hornet. I sent the guy a message that in my opinion it was a handgernade looking for a place to explode. Let you consience be your guide.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure it is a Favorite, and not a 44, which looks much the same only heavier? I'd think it would be fairly obvious if it had been converted from rimfire to centerfire. And 25-20 was one of the calibers available in the 44.
  • Options
    Pathfinder1758Pathfinder1758 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a Favorite%#
  • Options
    wilmamaewilmamae Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At this point some clear, close up pictures might help
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    if you reload for it you could load accordingly, cast bullets and a lite load of trail boss powder.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    And just because a round fit doesn't mean that is what it is chambered for...

Either sell it off, or if you want to shoot it, get a chamber cast done, figure out what it really is, and re-load appropriate ammo at appropriate pressures.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Origional 25-25 is very mild and very low pressure, much lower than a 22 mag. As stated earlier, cast bullets loaded properly.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know if I would put a .22 Mag in an original Favorite either. Did a .22 Mag conversion on a 44 action a couple of years ago and there was some question if it was stout enough. No problems but the Favorite is a different animal.
  • Options
    stevensrimfirestevensrimfire Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What nobody spoke of if this rifle is a favorite its probably chambered in the 25 stevens rimfire round not 25-20SS or WCF as what you were told 25 stevens which would be a correct factory chambering for the favorite in a couple of different model versions. Any of the favorites modified to center fire to replacate a mod 44 or 441/2 would be a true example of playing russian roulette 1 round at a time so before you destroy a nice old rifle make a chamber cast and you will know exactly what it is and if its not a 25 stevens and it is a favorite in 25 cal dont shoot it[xx(]
  • Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stevensrimfire
    What nobody spoke of if this rifle is a favorite its probably chambered in the 25 stevens rimfire round not 25-20SS or WCF

In the first thread on this subject he said it had been rechambered.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=411536

John