In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Carbine experts, need some info please.

Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
Today I bought 5 m1 carbines, all Grade 1 that were used by the detroit police department.

The carbines I purchased are as follows;

Irwin Peterson flip sight, no bayonet lug
Inland flip sight, no bayonet lug
Saginaw flip sight, no bayonet lug
Rock-ola Adjustable rear w/bayonet lug
Winchester adjustable rear w/bayonet lug

I paid $3000.00 for all of these as a group, which basically means I spent around $600.00 per carbine. These all have verious D.P.D. markings on them, how bad will it hurt their value?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you got a good deal. I think the DPD markings would be a negative for a collector, but shouldn't matter to a shooter.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just conjecture, but perhaps M1 carbines that could have been carried by DPD during the Twelfth St riots in 1967 or in the summer of 1968 might have a certain appeal to them. With all the surplus carbines being used by PDs in the 60's you might think there'd be some guys who'd actually like the connection?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree, the markings would decrease the value to a collector.

But, some of them may be still be worth quite a bit; it depends upon originality & condition. I can't tell that without seeing them.

As shooters, condition is most important. The biggest factor would be the quality of the bore & the muzzle wear measurement.

Neal
  • Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Agree, the markings would decrease the value to a collector.

But, some of them may be still be worth quite a bit; it depends upon originality & condition. I can't tell that without seeing them.

As shooters, condition is most important. The biggest factor would be the quality of the bore & the muzzle wear measurement.

Neal
    I do not have them in hand yet, I just ordered them. I will post pictures when they arrive. Thanks
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The Irwin Pedersen will be worth good money, no matter what markings it may have...They are simply hard to find.
  • Options
    ikedaikeda Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually the DPD markings may add a little flavor to them. The Pederson is easily worth $1000/$1500 by itself. Assuming they are in good shape all the others are easily worth $500/$600 each.
  • Options
    colt423colt423 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The going rate if found is 6oo.oo and up. These are whole sale prices for usgi. Price on M1 carbines is climbing real g.i.s are getting scarce.
  • Options
    PEZHEAD265PEZHEAD265 Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The flip sights and no bayo.lugs are early much sought after pieces if org.They should have the flat a bolt and push button safety if in org. configuration.Early guns had those pieces on them and then the Gov. refit them to be like the other 2.
  • Options
    AerojoeAerojoe Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you got all those for that price let me know where. That is below the price from the distributor. They are getting $750 and $1500 for the DPD carbines. Hell they are asking $499 for the DPD Universal carbines.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Mr. Friendly...Man, what a deal! In my area M1 Carbines are going at a premium, usually somewhere around $700-1k or so, and just dinged up "plain Jane" examples at that. The rarer ones like the IP (and even the Winchesters) are just not seen hardly anymore and would go at a big upside. I agree that to some folks (but not really WWII "correct" collectors) having a DPD mark might give the carbine an additional interest. You certainly lucked out but "luck favors the prepared mind!" Good shooting!