In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Frankford 1929 National Match

fredt.garvinfredt.garvin Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
Gentlemen I have come across 120rds of Frankford 1929 National Match ammo in 2 bandoliers on brass stripper clips. It is in excellent condition; almost looks new. There is no tarnishing at all on any of it. I would like to try a few rounds through my Garand to see if it still works. What would your opinion be shoot it or save it[?]

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If it is not in an unopened box SHOOT IT but be aware make sure you clean the bore after you do.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you shoot the 1929 ammo in an M1 Rifle you should clean the gas cyl as well as the bore.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is very corrosive and I would not shoot it with the original primers. Reprime before shooting. Save a few for your collection. Powder deteriorates with age and heat. If the powder is dull grey or caked, it should be replaced.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the early 70's my dad got a sack of 1918? Olympic Match 30-06. They looked nice. However every one was a hang fire of about 8 seconds. They all shot at full power except one, very unnerving. Inside that one powder was all green. No idea of storage conditions that ammo had been subjected too. If I had other ammo to shoot I would just leave this sleeping ammo lay.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. I'll pull a few and see what the powder looks like. Repriming the rest sounds like a good idea. I have the CCI military primers on hand. Sounds like a trip to the range this weekend.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went to the range and fired 2 clips at 100 yds. All hit low but in the 10 ring. The grouping was very good 2 1/2" not bad considering the age. Brought some water along to swab the bore and gas cylinder. Field stripped when I got home and did a complete clean with boilig water.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What type powder is in there! Do you know with any certainty the deflagration rate or approximate pressure range of 29 vintage Frankford Arsenal 30-06? As the Garand wasn't adopted until 8 years after that time, I would wonder if that op rod is going to stay put. With all the caveats placed upon the modern powders that are considered usable in the Garand, I would think twice about using that stuff in your M1. Likely some nice collector/conversation stuff you have there especially in the condition you note. It wasn't in en-bloc clips when you got it, was it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The ammo came on brass stripper clips. The powder it is loaded with is IMR 1186. What I know so far is that it is loaded to 2500 fps. I have an adjustable gas cylinder on the Garand and had it set at max open just in case it might be too powerful. I use that setting when using the M 72 match. I also contacted IMR to see if they had any info on the burn rate and any compadable modern powders similar to the 1186.