In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sub gauge shootgun inserts

fdeesfdees Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Ask the Experts
I'd like to buy a cheap old .12 gauge double damascus barrel shotgun and use inserts to fire .410 gauge shells. I just like the looks of the old double shotguns but am hesitant to shoot them. Also my physical well being at the moment precludes shooting my .12 gauge semi-auto. I've only found one place to order an insert and they seem expensive. Does anyone have any shopping information? Also, if you have used this approach, I'd like to hear any suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    look around on gunbroker or ebay for Savage four-tenners. Search tenner on gunbroker
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As the fore mentioned, but some of those get pricy too( somewhat collectable). I believe Browning, Briley, Seminole and Gauge Mate, possibly others have more modern made but not much different inserts.
    Look at specs, as some work with the guns ejectors/extractors to eject just the shell, but may not with an old s/s shotgun. Briley and Kolar make partial and full length tubes also, but much more expensive. Try also Cabellas website, as they used to offer a couple varieties.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That could get heavy.
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone for your help. My questions were answered. I do appreciate your efforts. Fred Dees
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assume you are interested in gauge adapters not full lenght barrel insert? I have been using gauge mates, stainless adapters.. I suggest a 20ga insert in a 12. The 20 ga wad will actually seal to a 12 ga and patterns/velocity will be ok. Your extractor will pull the insert out along with the 20ga shell inside, you then remove the 20ga shell. This requires you to keep the insert clean and lightly lubed, inside and out, and carry a short 5to6in wood dowel rod to push the 20ga out from the insert. This is due to blow by gas and condition of your chambers. I suggest two inserts, one for each barrel, do not use one insert on one barrel. Also careful if you drop one on a hard surface it will dent much like a thread/in choke. I do not know the pressure reduction on your barrels but I would use a light 20ga load.
  • Options
    TommyGun724TommyGun724 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short Lane Arms. www.gunadapters.com they have all kinds of variations for all gauge shotguns. I use them and they work great !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TommyGun724
    Short Lane Arms. www.gunadapters.com they have all kinds of variations for all gauge shotguns. I use them and they work great !

I looked at the site and the cost is certainly reasonable. I would be using a 12 gauge double barrel to fire 410 rounds. After firing are the inserts pulled out by the extractors with the hulls still in them or do the inserts stay in the chamber? Thanks