In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ithaca 1911a1

wwiimanwwiiman Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
edited June 2016 in Ask the Experts
I just bought an early Ithaca 1911A1 that has a Remington Rand slide on it. I thought it was a mismatched set so I did a little research and found out that Ithaca didnt have all the tooling when they first started producing the 1911s and had bought some parts from Colt and Remington Rand including the slides and these parts were used on the early Ithacas . What I would like to know is how the mismatched p[arts guns compare in price to the later ones that matched ? The finish is at least 90% on the pistol and is original with exception of the grips which are brown plastic with the Colt Rampart about the size of a nickle on them .I did not get a mag or a box with the pistol .

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Ithaca 1911a1 serial number 1277XX
    My question is it has a F marked barrel in it
    could that be original to that serial range gun?
    Thanks for any help
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an Ithece 1911A1 that my father who passed away 7 yrs ago had when he was in the navy. I just found it in then top of my closet and was wondering if anyone knew what it might be worth. Its in its original holster. Good condition!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ive located a Ithaca 1911A1 on GB. However, the only Ithaca markings are on the slide itself. The frame has no markings at all except for a small "P" near the magazine release. The serial number does show to be in the Ithaca range however (1943).
    What are your thoughts about this. This is the second one that I've seen in about a month now.
    Thanks,
    Russell40
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you leave off an X?

Some Flannery barrels were used by Remington Rand and Ithaca in 1944 and 1945.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    hawk Carse is correct should be 7 digits in your serial number
    Flannery started making barrels Nov 1943 and Ithaca had trouble meeting demand for completed pistols and used many parts from other makers of parts.yesmost likely correct original barrel
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes i did leave out a X
    its serial number 1277XXX
    does that fall in the range of the F marked barrels
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your serial number is toward the end of 1943 production (1,279,673).
    Flannery type 19 barrels Were "Limited use by Remington and Ithaca, mid-1943 to end of production." Ref. U.S. Pistols & Revolvers 1909 - 1945, by J.C. Harrison.