In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Walther P.38 value

claycrusherclaycrusher Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited July 2016 in Ask the Experts
Good day! A friend of mine asked me to help get a rough estimate of value for a Walther P.38 he has. Now my knowledge is mostly on pre-1900 shotguns so I'm a bit in the dark but I told him I would see what I could find. It has the Walther banner on the slide and a serial number of 06613 with no letter at the end as later ones had. As such, I'm guessing it was one of the very early ones, before they went to a manufacturer code and a letter at the end of the serial number. I'd estimate the finish is about 70%- by no means a mint gun. But no rust or pitting. It was a war bring back so there are no importer markings. I fully realize that without tons of pics an exact value simply cannot be reached. However, any rough guesses? I appreciate your time and suggestions!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is 3000 + completed auction for p-38 refine the search for narrower results or just look threw until you see something close.

http://www.GunBroker.com/All/Completed/BCI.aspx?Keywords=p-38&Timeframe=1

added
    This one seems close http://www.GunBroker.com/item/552595635

so perhaps $300 to $900 is a fare range estimate. Extras like holsters, magazines, capture papers ... all add to the price. Shooter's are not so picky as to matching #, % of original finish as the collector people. It sounds to me you have a shooter pistol.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    hello I would go to the auction side of GunBroker and look at completed auctions that were sold and compare those with what your friend has . or search on current ones that are no reserve auctions
    If you look at seller LOCUST FORK her auctions have pictures like we need
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your data is correct, per serial number? "06613", would be what the collectors call a 3rd variation, Zero series.

Only made for a short time in 1940. Little over 10,00 made, between April and July of 1940.

70% percent is a bummer though. Most collectors would only buy for restoration, really would have a negative effect on value.

Post quality photos if possible, for positive identification and valuation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    20160702_170004.jpeg
    This is the one side of the frame, I will try to get the other side once I get home from work. This side is slightly worse then the rest, but not by much.

Thank you for the suggestions of looking up past auctions. I have been looking through them and getting a fair idea what a shooter is worth. I'm wondering if it is worth slightly more due to its early production or if its simply just a shooter.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went exploring on the net. Ran across this guy who is trying to get $2,700. For a 3rd series, just in little better condition, than the one you have pictured.. But it has import markings.

Yours definitely has condition problems. If it wasn't a "0" series, it would just be a shooter. But as I said before. It's a very good candidate for restoration. If this seller can get $2,700 for the one he's trying to sell? My take, isd yours should be worth at least $1500.

https://www.joesalter.com/category/products/German-Walther-Zero-Series-P-38-Pistol-3rd-Model
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you sir, your info is helpful and having a rough guess as to value is much appreciated!