In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is this ammo & is it restricted in any way?

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in Ask the Experts
7.62x54R red and black tip, headstamp 55 and 71 on opposite sides of the case.
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black tip, red band beneath, Armor Piercing Incendiary.
    http://www.russianammo.org/Russian_Ammunition_Page_Headstamp.html

Some states (California, IIRC) ban tracer/ incendiary ammo. No Federal ban that I know of.

And you did not ask, but I would mention- this stuff can start a forest fire quicker than you would think. After Smokey D. Bear finishes whacking you with the shovel, they send you the bill for putting out the fire.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Black tip, red band beneath, Armor Piercing Incendiary.
    http://www.russianammo.org/Russian_Ammunition_Page_Headstamp.html

Some states (California, IIRC) ban tracer/ incendiary ammo. No Federal ban that I know of.

And you did not ask, but I would mention- this stuff can start a forest fire quicker than you would think. After Smokey D. Bear finishes whacking you with the shovel, they send you the bill for putting out the fire.

I was pretty sure it is supposed to be API ammo but the head stamp doesn't match what I was able to find on reference pages.

Thanks.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "71" is listed in my reference, as a unknown Chinese factory.

If the above is correct? 19(55), is most likely DOM.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    It will also set an indoor range on fire. Easier than it will start a forest fire.

And I wouldn't shoot it out of a pistol configuration.
    Just my two cents.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    It will also set an indoor range on fire. Easier than it will start a forest fire.

And I wouldn't shoot it out of a pistol configuration.
    Just my two cents.

I've been at a couple of indoor ranges. When the unburnt powder on the floor caught fire. Doesn't take a tracer, to get them going either. Tends to tighten your sphincter, when the floor starts burning. By rights, every hour they should sweep the floor. But they don't.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remind us exactly which pistols might digest 7.62x54R?

quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    And I wouldn't shoot it out of a pistol configuration. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cute.
    I've been present at a comm'l range where powder imbedded in polystyrene panels in a booth ignited releasing toxic fumes . The range had to be evacuated.
    On API, I had to dismantle an A4 06 Browning LMG from a plane crash
    It had API which was fun to shoot as one could spot shots at hard targets for some distance.
    However, that was Korea.
    Tracers, API and APIT can and do start fires.
    I would caution anyone who thinks they'd be fun to play with to forget it.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by b0400879
    Remind us exactly which pistols might digest 7.62x54R?

These:

Mosin.jpg

obrez-mosin-pistol.jpg

mosin-pistol.jpeg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/06/05/mosin-nagant-rifle-converted-into-a-pistol/

Bottom image above is a wry photoshop, not a real gun, but the top two are real conversions. Top one is a contemporary conversion with muzzle brake; middle one is an authentic Russian Revolution "street" conversion. Colloquially, these chopped down guns are known in Russian as "Obrez"; if you google that term you can find other examples.

The guns kick like mules and make huge fireballs when shot. Still, if you're a Russian peasant or other revoluationary, and the only gun you have access to is a Mosin-nagant rifle, and you MUST have something concealable, this sort of "modification" makes sense.

Nowadays, I'd say the only reason you might want something like this is for novelty (or "ha-ha" value to turn heads at the range), but assuming you live in a state where short-barrelled rifles are permitted, and you fill out the appropriate Federal forms and pay for the $200 tax stamp, I think its legal to build one.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With ammo from an unknown source it could be anything. People with paint, pulled bullets from other stuff. Hard to say for sure exactly what you have with out pulling a bullet or shooting a few.

Black tip with red is US armor piercing tracer from way back then.

Tracers can/will start fires, incendiary are designed too. I wouldn't shoot tracers in bores I'm fond of. I shot away a 5 gallon bucket of pulled 06 tracers. Most were pre-burned by lighting one with a propane torch, butting a second one in the flame, then throwing the first in a bucket of water to swim around and burn out. Rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some folks have way too much free time on their hands.