In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9mm rimmed cases

mrshortymrshorty Member Posts: 110
edited July 2016 in Ask the Experts
just curious but has anyone here ever tried to make 9mm rimmed cases for use in the ruger Blackhawk convertibles that have the 9 mm cylinders. I have tried using 38 short colt brass trimming it back to .750 which is just shorter than 9mm brass. so far have not tried firing them as have not had a chance to get to range. hopefully some time this weekend.
thanks for any info.
dan

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do they chamber and let the cylinder rotate?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it could work. I'm not sure what the need is. In a swing out cylinder like a S&W 1955 45 Auto Rim case allows group extraction without the half moon clip.

added Well then have fun.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9mm Federal, back in the 80's. Made for Charter Arms revolvers, that were specifically chambered, for the 9mm with a rim.

They were a complete cluster #%*^. All the brain dead goobers, who had the old top break Iver Johnsons and H & R's in 38 S & W. Blew up there guns shooting 9mm Federal in them.

Federal and Charter Arms dropped the rimmed 9mm like a hot potato. After they had all kinds of liability law suits filed against them.

9mmFederalRimmed.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yes they rotate fine in the cylinder and I thought if would be kind of fun to try and see if they would work. I guess it's something like the 38 s&w which the victory models have been converted to 38 special.
    larger dia. case shooting a smaller dia. case. 38 short is a little smaller at the base than 9 mm but seems to work using mild 9mm loads
    dan
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you have ALL of your safety equipment on, and I would advise a full face shield. The 38 Short Colts might have an old balloon head, and you might get the results you do not want. I don't see why a regular 9mmx19 would not work for you seeing it is a single action anyway, and you have to load and eject them one at a time.

Some of the new 9mm double action revolvers, today, have a spring loaded claw extractor system, like the Charter Arms Pit Bull series, and some have the cylinders cut for use of full moon clips.

Best
  • Options
    RANGER03RANGER03 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    if i am not mistaken this round was originally designed to meet a Japanese Law Enforcement / Police Forces specification open bid contract...

the Police and other LEO officials would have a gun that if lost or stolen the general population could not obtain ammo that would allow it to continue to function and be used against the GOVT...

similar to the 14 gauge shot-shells used in the martini falling block shotguns in India (with a 3-pronged firing pin)

JMHO
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why???
    The Ruger Blackhawk cylinder headspaces 9mm cartridges on the case mouth. There is no need at all for a rim-for headspace OR extraction.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    you're right 9mm do headspace on the rim but being left with a lot of time on my hands and 200 new 38 short cases that I used 1 time to start the wife out on her first gun with nothing to use them for now I thought why not. it seems to work. wife is now on 38 long eventually 38 special. retirement is some times a pain when you've nothing else to do. and at almost 80 i'll try a lot of things to keep busy.
    dan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I only made five cases just for something to do. I have probally had the 9mm . for 20 years and had never used it until last year when I bought a black 357 here on GB that had no cylinder, i'll just keep the 38 cases for light loads for wife to practice with.
    dan