In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

TulAmmo Facts

bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in Ask the Experts
I was given 3 boxes of TulAmmo 9mm. I've heard they are ok to use and that they are not ok to use. Does anyone out there know the truth? Thanks. Jim.[:)]

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am no fan of steel case ammo. Could be hard on extractors if you shoot 1000's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSmZMSRg2Dk
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LONG story, well covered elsewhere.

In fact, you'd be well-served to read this pretty comprehensive review and real-world "torture" test: http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

In short, steel case ammo is perfectly fine in guns DESIGNED to run it. That would be most Soviet-bloc guns (Mosin-Nagant, SKS, and AK pattern rifles, TT pistols, etc). In those guns, run all you want, and don't worry about it. I personally only run steel case ammo in these sorts of guns.

In guns NOT designed to run steel case ammo (pretty much everything else) the ammo is SAFE to run, but because steel cases tend to run "dirtier" and be "stickier" running these may cause more wear and tear on the guns extractor, leading to more frequent replacement.

Whether or not this is an issue depends largely on which gun you're talking about and what you use it for.

In *GENERAL* extractors tend to be cheap, and in most cases relatively easy to replace, so whatever extra cost you might incur replacing yours more frequently will likely be offset by decreased ammo cost. In other words, if you shoot a lot but don't reload, its probably still cheaper to run steel case ammo and replace more extractors than run just brass.

For a "critical use" gun" (IE the one you trust your life to), you may not want to take a chance breaking an extractor, and I wouldn't be firing lots of steel case ammo through a gun like that, given a choice.

As a secondary consideration, because steel case ammo tends to run "dirtier", it can cause subsequent problems running normal brass case ammo from the same gun, with empty BRASS cases getting stuck in guns that have run a lot of steel-case first. Solution is to "unstick" the cartridge then thoroughly scrub the chamber.

Some people who like to shoot a lot of steel case ammo will have dedicated guns JUST for steel case, and I think that's a reasonable way to go.

You didn't ask, but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with "Tulammo". That ammo made in the Russian Tula plant and intended for commercial distribution. Its not going to win any awards for either accuracy or cleanliness, but its perfectly fine for practice.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are different flavors of Tula ammo.

First stuff on the market had plain steel cases, with what looked like a parkerized coating. I had so many FTF problems, quit using it.

Later they started putting some kind of a plastic coating on their steel cases. These cases also had boxer primers. Worked fine in my 9mm & 40 S&W guns.

For S & G I tried reloading them, because of the boxer primers. Ignominious failure! Couldn't full length resize them. All the steel cases had a "happy face". Jus threw them in the round file.

EDIT #1,

Sorry I had a senior moment. Disregard the above. The first ammo I had problems with, that just had a parked coating. Was Wolf not Tula. Don't know if the Wolf stuff is still on the market?
  • Options
    bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info on TulAmmo. I have a S&W 5906 that I'll try it in.[:)]
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the article Beantown references, they also noted the bullets caused excessive wear to the rifling in the barrels due to the bimetal jackets through 3 boxes should cause too much of a problem.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the article Beantown references, they also noted the bullets caused excessive wear to the rifling in the barrels due to the bimetal jackets through 3 boxes should NOT cause too much of a problem.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    works fine in my 9mm carbines cheapo fun with a go fast stock[^]
  • Options
    JESJES Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had found on the first Tula to come out there were so many FTF that it finally made my nerves so bad there was no use going forward with my target shooting............Just sayin.....I don't know if they changed the recipe in these shells or not but if it is the latter, I still would not buy them. 10 FTF per box is too much for me
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    European ammo/ com-block nations
    use thier ammo for those countries guns.

use USA guns use USA ammo ( brass casing )

that is what i stick with

ps nothing wrong with tula ammo