In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Harrington & Richardson Model 649?

tangaratangara Member Posts: 133 ✭✭
edited July 2016 in Ask the Experts
Is the Harrington & Richardson Model 649 double action only? I have one that was purchased years ago shot it a couple of times then was forgotten in he safe. I rediscovered it recently and could of sworn it was DA/SA before but is only DA now. Before I try to fix what is not broken I am asking here. It does not have the one piece mainspring/guide rod assembly with the nylon/plastic end that have been the problem in many H&R revolvers.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Ox6XwtNjI

added
    The vid shows your memory was correct is that it should work as a single or double action.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/HarringtonRichardson-33274/Revolvers-36449/649-38087.htm

Take it apart and see what is wrong. If you think it is dried grease or crud gumming up the works, take off the grips and spray out the action with like brake cleaner. Do this outside. If it then functions correctly you still need to lube the internals as the brake cleaner washed all lube away.

Sear and sear spring plus the single action hammer notch are areas of interest. I think you need to make slave pins to put it back together easily. Proper fitting punches are nice to have, and help prevent damage to the finish.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/HarringtonRichardson-33274/Revolvers-36449/649-38087.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie

I watched that video before I posted. The 649 I have is a 1980 manufacture with the transfer bar safety. Any ideas why it fails in single action?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In this photo. The little lever in the back of the trigger guard, is the sear. It's spring loaded. When you cock the hammer, for single action. The sear is supposed to engage a shoulder on the hammer. This is to hold the hammer at full cock.

My WAG, is either the sear or it's sear spring, is malfunctioning. Or the full cock shoulder on the hammer is.

First soak the 649 in solvent and blow it out with compressed air. To clean, and free up the sear spring and hammer. If this doesn't do any good? Your going to have to take it apart. To see whats going on between the sear, sear spring and hammer.

hqdefault.jpg
  • Options
    sprintsprint Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As rife-snow says, I suspect the operation of the sear. Probably gummed up and not moving freely. Try pulling the hammer to the full cock position and with a suitable tool inserted behind the sear, push it forward toward the trigger. If the hammer then stays at full cock, chances are the sear and hammer are OK and cleaning the sear and slot should solve the problem.

Good luck,

Sprint

Edit: Sorry rufe.....darn auto spell struck again!
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +3
    Try cleaning it out first, without taking it apart. A slave pin (the width of the trigger guard) is needed to put it back together and is a PIA.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Mine had a problem with alignment of the cylinder to the barrel because the star on the back of the cylinder was dead soft, & the hand put a groove into it all the way around. It would shoot fine DA, but the cylinder would rotate freely when cocked SA. Glad it was only a .22!
  • Options
    Woo Hoo, you guys are great.  I did spray this with brake cleaner and did get it to engage in single action, sprayed some more.  I was able to engage every time then blew out with compressed air.  Sprayed and it down with Ballistol then blew out with air again.  It is now back in working order.