In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 value made 1918 US property

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Ask the Experts
My nephew called me today and asked me about a 1911, he seems to think it is worth 4K.

I checked the serial numbers which would put it as a 1918. Over 300K made that year.

When I looked at other auctions one is listed for 4999 and one with issues 1500.

The gun is marked US Property and on the other side has "model of 1911 US army", it has what appears to be MOP grips not original.

I don't know what else to tell him other then to check the top of the barrel for the HP and a gothic p?
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Posting quality close-up photos, using these instructions. Are the only way we can help, with identification and valuation.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For that kind of money, it would have to be original throughout and in excellent condition. I would want a correct magazine, too.

Pearl handles are a liability, nice 1911 "double diamonds" are worth hundreds of bucks.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or, he can use the self-help method:

http://www.coolgunsite.com/

Neal
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You asked for a figure so will try to give you one. I haven't been closely keeping track of the value in ten cent dollars on these but did up to about a year ago.

I have one like you describe. Mine is mismatched, Springfield frame and a Remington UMC slide. Everything is complete, the double diamond grips, barrel with the Gothic P that you described, a 1918 mag with "A" on the toe. General condition would be Good +. I'll be selling this on GunBroker in the next few months and will start it at $895.00 and hope it will bring twelve. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a feller in So. Cal who used to send me lovely catalogs of 1911s with nose bleed prices. Now he might've been able to give you a price.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I have a 1911 made by Union Switch & Signal which apparently are the second rarest model. My FIL got it from his brother who got it from a guy he served with . The story is the guy who had it was in the navy (Korean war) and left (or maybe forgot) it with my FILs brother when he shipped out and was later killed in action.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    I have a 1911 made by Union Switch & Signal which apparently are the second rarest model. My FIL got it from his brother who got it from a guy he served with . The story is the guy who had it was in the navy (Korean war) and left (or maybe forgot) it with my FILs brother when he shipped out and was later killed in action.

One of a kind. Priceless,[:D]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Hawk stated, it would have to be in all original, matching numbers, and 95% or better of original finish to get the $5K mark. Only a hands on inspection, with a tear down for inspection, will warrant that. The MOP grips will tell you that someone tried to pimp it out, and most likely cut the value by at least $1k, and probably more depending on what else might not be correct with it.

Realistically speaking, only about 10% of the 1911's that age are capable of 95% originality, with NO arsenal rebuilds, and all matching numbers, and original finish. May luck be with you.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless it is near perfect condition, a 1918 made 1911 would have to be a Remington UMC to get to $ 4,000.00, IMO.

I have a couple of WW1 Colts, plus a Springfield from 1914 and a Remington from 1918. The Colts are worth on the order of $ 2,000.00, but the Springfield and Remington should get over $ 4,000.00.

First step is to make sure the S/N on the frame matches the manufacturer printed on the slide.

A quick reference guide:

http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/colt production.htm

From there it is correct parts, finish, and condition.

Corrected link. Did not work from phone.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1