In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Iver Johnson Champion

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Ask the Experts
I was given an Iver johnson Champion 12 Ga by my grandmother (93)yesterday. She said it was my great,great, grandfathers. can you tell me any thing about the gun. Serial Number 80613 B. It has no bluing left. There is no rust. The wood has no cracks ,splits or guouges. It is in good shape. Can you give me a average ballpark figure on worth or should I redo stock and have it reblued. I am not going to sell just keep it for my grandchild. Thanks for any info. Turkeyman

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have a listing on what barrel lengths were offered on the 28 gauge. I have two, one 26" and one 28". I just bought one with a barrel measured at 31 5\16" which I thought was most unusual
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Until now all of the Iver Johnson Champions I've ever seen, or had, had a serial # behind the trigger guard, on the fore end and on the barrel lug and was all blued. I have just had one given to me that has the following features;
    1)it has a case hardened (colors) on the receiver and trigger guard with the barrel being blued;
    2)there are the initials "CHB" behind the trigger guard and on the fore end on the wood next to where the barrel fits,
    3)on the barrel lug the initials "CHB" are on one side and "EM" on the side that mates with the receiver,
    4)on top of the barrel is "16 GUAGE FULL CHOKED, BARREL AND LUG FORGED IN ONE" and the 16 appears to have been added after the rest imprinted.

A local "expert" said this was an experimental shotgun with the initials "CHB" standing for "Case Hardened Blue" and the initials "EM" standing for "Experimental Model". The case colors are brilliant and this is the most attractive I.J. Champion I've seen. The gun is near mint condition.
    Any information and guess as to value would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lance
    10's RULE
    [:D]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are late member Bill Goforth, wrote the bible on Iver Johnson firearms.

"Iver Johnson: Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871-1993"

Maybe one of our members has access to a copy? Don't know if Bill addressed special order guns in his book though? Not likely a 28 gauge with a 31 5/16 barrel length was cataloged.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have Bill's book in hand. The only listing for a 28 g shotgun is on pg 214- Champion model 39 1909-1918, 24 and 28 g only. (Hint- I do not have a 24 g shell in my collection. Anyone that would like to donate one, would be gratefully accepted) 28" and 30" bbls, full choke. length with 30" bbls 45 inches. Model 39 Junior with shortened stock and 26 and 28" bbls. Options included nickeled frame, automatic ejectors, browned barrel.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I might still have a 24 and 32 gauge factory loaded shells.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I measured again with the breach open. Exactly 31 1/4". Send me your address and I will send a 28 shell. Also if you are looking for anything else in that area let me know.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gents- thank you. Have specimens of 28 and 32 g, but no 24 g. Appreciate the offer, tho.