In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Consecutive Colt SAAs

Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Ask the Experts
A friend has 4 consecutively #d Colt SAAs in 44 spl. for sale. They are 3rd gen. in a blue box with a white sleeve. 2 are P1740s & 2 are P1750s. All 4 have what appear to be stag grips (no hard rubber grips in the box.) 2 have birds head grips & 2 are standard. Curiously, the ends of the white sleeves (with correct ser#s) all note "blue/case color finish" & all 4 are completely polished blue. Is this right?
I'm also trying to figure a price. They appear unfired but it is too bad someone worked the actions enough to leave faint marks on the cylinders.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I would contact COLT for a letter on all 4 They might have been sent through the CUSTOM SHOP after they were put in their marked boxes
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, look closely at the fit of the grips. When Colt installs grips (new or replacement) on a SAA, they actually grind/polish them as a unit, then refinish the grip frame.

Neal

EDIT: It would help if you could post photos of the box labels; in recent years, all the guns I've seen worked on in the custom shop have Colt Custom Shop labels. I agree with Perry Shooter, you may be able to get information from Colt; I doubt that a factory letter would be worth the cost for a recent gun. In any case, SAA owners & BMW owners don't worry about "value", they just enjoy owning what they like.
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, the grips do match the frames very well. I'm curious how much they affect the value. I see that 44 spl lowers the value. A consecutive 44 pair with standard finish, etc. sold for $2500. What about the faint marks on the cylinders?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Turn line on the cylinder will drop the value a lot more than you would think.