In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin model 80 dl...new info

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Ask the Experts
I need help coming up with the best estimated date of production for one of these. Details below.

Non-checkered stock with butt plate that has no markings.

Blued with what appears to be a stainless or at least nickel plated bolt.

Plastic trigger guard.

5 groove rifling

"Nickel" plated trigger

It has no serial number so I know it's at least pre-68.

There are holes in the reciever for the peep sight but it also has a spot for a rear leef. The front sight is a brass bead on a blade that has the grooves for the hood. The front sight uses two screws to secure it to the barrel.

Barrel markings are rolled.

Any help is appreciated.

update
So I took the barrel off the receiver to replace the broken spring guide.....this barrel and receiver are not splined....does this add any clues?

Comments

• Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the bolt is plated and without a serial number it would be pre 68, the gun traders guide may be able to get you closer to date if it matters that much.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were made from 1940-1965. An early model would have a magazine guide plate that has a pointed end to it. Later magazine plates are rounded on both edges.

The later rifles have a new style extractor that clips over the bolt with prongs on either side that extract and eject?

I know early rifles had different bolts...the bolt handle cuts more into the wood as a slot instead of a square and than the knob juts out at a 90 degree angle. Look at auction #576486732 for this early bolt. The later bolt handles just looped over the side with a square cut in the stock.

The different bolts don't interchange.

I know grooved receivers were dated around 1960. Most stocks were not checkered.

The peep sight holes were only for the Deluxe version stock which had a white bullseye and sling swivels, and I can't date it as the early ones had the 12R peep sight. (they cost almost as the gun at $75-95)

These rifles are hard to date and the nickel plating suggests a later model from 1960 onwards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Interesting.....this one has the pointed magazine guide plate with the new style extractor. The reciever is not grooved for scope mounts. Forgot to add also that the stock does have the white bullseye with sling swivels.

Safety is labeled on and off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So you have a deluxe model barrel and receiver without the deluxe stock. You have a FrankenMarlin. Many people like myself have swapped out parts to make a gun, than sell them to unsuspecting rubes's at gun shows and garage sales. I can date your gun between 1947 and 1959 if that helps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thorhammer
    So you have a deluxe model barrel and receiver without the deluxe stock. You have a FrankenMarlin. Many people like myself have swapped out parts to make a gun, than sell them to unsuspecting rubes's at gun shows and garage sales. I can date your gun between 1947 and 1959 if that helps.

If it has the swivels and bullseye wouldn't it be a correct stock?

Just wonderful. I have to restore it anyway as it has been thrashed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The deluxe stock would also have the flat area where the peep sight attaches to the side of the receiver. And it would be a walnut stock instead of the hardwood.
    I thought your dating of the gun was in trying to sell it as a C & R and they are almost impossible to date correctly.
    I got several in the model 80 & 81 and found there is a myriad of stock options, and when I locate a walnut stock I swap it out for the hardwood. Sorry to be flippant on my earlier post as I can't date them like yourself and as happy to refinish them as I please without the worry of destroying a collectable.
    Good luck in with your marlin .22's

Thor.