In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking at a used S&W 586...

McDAccountantMcDAccountant Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
It has an 8 3/8" barrel. My concerns are a cylinder release that is sometime tough to "release" and wondering how loose the the cylinder should be when its closed, seems to be a little bit of "play" when closed.

Its priced at $575.

Should I be worried with the issues above or should I lay down the cash and buy it?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cylinder release shouldn't be "tough". Last one I had like that was a Model 12 that some imbecile who though he was a G man, closed the cylinder by "snapping" it. IMHO I would pass on it unless the seller agrees to pay for the needed repairs.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It needs to have some play to operate. If you want something that locks up tight get a bolt action.

Lots of reason the latch can be stiff, most are not good. Unless you know exactly what you are looking at I'd pass or get a pro to look it over. Even in new ones some are better fitted than others, if you know what to look for.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Check the extractor rod, it should have left hand thread. If the extractor rod loosens, it will cause the cylinder to open stiffly.
    W.D.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To check cylinder tightness, cock the hammer. Hold the hammer back while you pull the trigger & hold the trigger back. Ease the hammer all the way forward, while you continue to hold the trigger back. NOW wiggle the cylinder to check tightness & bore alignment.

Repeat for each charge hole in the cylinder.

Neal
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Condition....condition....condition. The three most important "issues" with used weapons. And this one has condition issues. Too many others out there with no issues. The price also leaves wiggle room.....but without photos don't know. If me, pass.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Check the extractor rod, it should have left hand thread. If the extractor rod loosens, it will cause the cylinder to open stiffly.
    W.D.

I don't know if 586 guns post-dated Smith's eventual correction of this problem.

If this the case, the cylinder release button should move easily, but the cylinder will tend to stick in place rather than easily opening when you push on it. After opening the cylinder a quick twist of the ejector rod should make the problem go away, at least temporarily until it unscrews again.

Fixing this issue (if present) is pretty easy. Put a dab of loctite on the cylinder rod screw threads and tighten it down.

In terms of rotational play in the cylinder when closed, all Smiths have some. That's normal.