In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

goex fffg vs goex clear shot fffg

1923model12win1923model12win Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
I put this on the Black Powder and cowboy action shooting board and had no luck. I figured I would try here with the experts!

I am using 80gr goex fffg w/ 490 RB and.015 lubed patch. My friend gave me a brand new can of Goex Clear Shot fffg. Would it shoot the same or would I have to adjust the load up or down? I shoot it out of a Tradition Deerhunter Flintlock in .50 cal. I use the fffg instead of the ffg because I only have a 24" barrel. I want a progressive burn all the way up the barrel not out past the muzzle.

Thank You
Ian

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give it back. Use your real black powder. I too use real 3Fg in a 50 cal. but percussion. The fake black powders I didn't like are 777 and pydrodex very hard to light even with RWS musket caps. American Pioneer is much easier to get lit and works ok in my gun.

Google goex clear shot

http://www.chuckhawks.com/problems_blackpowder.htm
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not real BP, just a replica like Pyrodex. Not matter whats marked on the container you have to use trial and error to determine the equivalent to 3F Black Powder.

I don't believe this clear shot stuff is being made anymore. Because of this I wouldn't even bother screwing around with it, if you just have the one container. Flint Locks are kind of fussy anyway. When I had mine years ago, all I used was BP. Because I always was told that they weren't reliable with the BP substitutes/replicas like Pyrodex.