In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gun cradle

FluxcapFluxcap Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
is there a gun rest that is stable enough to prevent jitter while i'm adjusting a scope to get the crosshairs to travesrse to the point of impact after the first test shot. also is the bsa optics bore sighter any good? we tried one out and the guide allowed wiggle when looking at the target mesh.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IMHO anything to do with BSA OPTICS of any form are close to N.C.STAR Bottom of the scale.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a older model MTM gun vise, I use. It's very basic and simple. Breaks down into 3 easily transported parts. Holds the rifle steady, specially when a sand bag or 25 pounds of shot are put in the central section.

The newer models appear to be more complex, and probably more expensive, then the older basic model they use to sell.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 25# ex shot bags lined with a freezer ziplock filled with rice or sand and then sewn shut. A folding military officer table or a modified black and decker workmate and one of those resin stackable chairs make a fair shooting bench that is portable.

+1 NC Star and BSA are on the low end.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fluxcap,

Good sandbag rests, and/or a vise, after the shot, and adjusted to the point of aim, before transposing the crosshairs to the point of impact, are what I usually do.

Secondly, that thing that most marketing, and advertising, refer to as a bore sighter, that sticks a metal spud of some type in the end of your barrel, and potentially damages your crown, is what most professionals know as a columinator. Bore sighting, usually refers to removing the bolt, and sighting down the bore of the barrel, until a target is centered. Then while holding the gun completely still, adjusting the sights to that target. I don't like columinators, as most are tempromental about staying put, and I do not like to chance damaging a crown on a good shooting rifle.

Best