In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kays industries vs Center industries Corp. ar mags

celsecelse Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
I'm wondering which is a better mag for the AR15 platform. Kays or CIC?????

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    celse,

I'm sure that most of the suggestions will boil down to personal preference based on problems or lack there of or just plain likes and dislikes.

Okay Industries was a major supplier for the military magazine contracts. CIC also has had a decent reputation as far as I know.

With the large number of manufacturers, I've found that when the magazines have been well cared for there are few with problems. Those that have been castigated for feeding issues have often benefited from a change in the feed lips and replacement followers and springs. Magpul is the supplier of note for the follower. Now, many of the main line magazine manufacturers state that they use Magpul products in their mags.

I am currently fielding PRI mags due to my use of a particular wildcat cartridge but I have dozens of assorted manufacturer's mags to use when the 5.56 gets the call. I just check the feeding before I take a batch out to shoot. Sometimes it's best to throw a problematic mag away than to invest in the attempt to make it work properly.

Best.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both were gov't contractors so would assume both were capable of producing similar quality mags. Mags are mags and as long as they work, the name on the bottom(if there even is one)is of no consequence.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    What you're referring to is Okay Industries.

6895s6.jpg

Besides Okay and Center, USGI contract magazines have been manufactured by NHMTG, Colt, Adventureline, Parsons Precision and Labelle. They're all good stuff.

The only contract magazines to possibly be concerned about are those produced by Sanchez or Cooper. I've never personally experienced any issues with them, but have heard tell of problems.

EDIT:

quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Of course, Colt hasn't made mags for 50 years, so all their mags are made by someone else.Yep.

Okay is reportedly the actual manufacturer of NHMTG marked magazines and according to Colt Armorer training is the current producer for their factory stamped item.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer 20 round Colt mags. Less likely to snag, & you can hunker down a little lower when you are firing from a prone position.

Of course, Colt hasn't made mags for 50 years, so all their mags are made by someone else. But, they are milspec like the others Txs named, so all is good.

Neal
  • Options
    cndrdkcndrdk Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had Colt magazines with the Colt floor plate on the bottom, but when you break them down for cleaning, etc., they are marked "OKAY IND" on the inside at the top.
  • Options
    cndrdkcndrdk Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had Colt magazines with the Colt floor plate on the bottom, but when you break them down for cleaning, etc., they are marked "OKAY IND" on the inside at the top.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cndrdk
    See above.

Despite the markings you see, Colt doesn't actually manufacture any AR/M16 magazines. They're contracted out, produced by Okay Industries.