In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping "High Capacity" Magazines

dustinfoxdustinfox Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
What is the best (and safest) way to ship "high capacity" magazines? I've searched USPS, UPS, and Fed-Ex but cannot find any information specifically about shipping magazines.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AFAIK there are no restrictions against shipping any magazines. Wrap them up and ship. USPS Flat Rate box is probably the fastest and cheapest.

Ray
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dustinfox
    What is the best (and safest) way to ship "high capacity" magazines? I've searched USPS, UPS, and Fed-Ex but cannot find any information specifically about shipping magazines.

I find the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes to normally be the most economical. If the magazine (packaged up) is light enough (under 13 ounces) then 1st Class Mail will normally be more economical -- and almost as fast -- as Priority.

If you're talking about finding the laws about shipping standard capacity magazines vs. shipping restricted-capacity magazines -- to states where such restricted-capacity magazines are the only ones allowed, I'd suggest just copying the shipping restrictions the big stores (like Cabelas) use when selling magazines online.

The Post Office and Private Carriers normally don't get into enforcing individual state and local laws on an item like magazines. You, as the shipper and the recipient (your buyer) are responsible for determining what can go where.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Only the recipient needs to be concerned with local laws. There are no federal laws that would prohibit you from shipping anywhere in the USA (unless you are shipping intrastate in a State that has restrictions.) You, or I, are not bound by any State laws other than our own. Dealers are bound because they have federal licenses.
  • Options
    dustinfoxdustinfox Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like flat rate USPS is the easiest! and of course I will check the destination state for legality.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a list of states that prohibit or restrict high capacity mags. http://handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf

There are no Federal restrictions at the moment. Just box it up and mail it. The issue arises at the state level.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cheechako
    Only the recipient needs to be concerned with local laws. There are no federal laws that would prohibit you from shipping anywhere in the USA (unless you are shipping intrastate in a State that has restrictions.) You, or I, are not bound by any State laws other than our own. Dealers are bound because they have federal licenses.

One should speak with a lawyer for legal advise on specific situations, but a person in another state involved in shipping an item considered illegal into a state he is not residing in, could be considered to be involved in the "importation" of the prohibited item. The state officials could charge the individual, outside their state, with a crime.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You must be a lawyer. God help us all if we have to consult a lawyer every time we ship anything to another State. Show me a federal law that says I cannot mail tracer bullets to CA, IL, MA, or any of the other liberal States.

There are already too many lawyers and lawyer-situations in this country. Let's not suggest even more.

JMHO

Ray
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a violation of FEDERAL law to violate the state firearms laws of a state other than your own. But, that law would not apply to firearms accessories. And, there has never been a prosecution of the firearms law.

I would not put it past Bloomberg to be the first to go after someone who shipped an illegal hi-cap mag into NYS. It's not likely your governor will extradite you to NY, but it could happen; I don't want to be the test case.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Neal - You'll have to show me that. A link would be fine. I think you are referring to a licensed FFL or other federally licensed business, not a private person.