In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gunbroker auction site concerns.

satman858satman858 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I know that the Gunbroker auction site has been a great site to buy guns in the past for many years. I have even brought a gun there before myself a couple years back. I was thinking about selling a new Colt AR-15 I picked up at a gun store a couple of weeks ago, but am having concerns by seeing almost every Colt AR-15 being bought by people that are showing up as Non Rated buyers with 0 feedbacks.

What concerns would the experts here in the forum have with selling guns have with all these new buyers, and what would you do the prevent scammers, and protect yourself?

With so much ID theft, credit card fraud, and money order fraud going on these days, that too would be concerns.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everybody has to start somewhere. With this surge to buy black guns, even the newbies are jumping in.

Rest easy though, and take a peek at the auction I have going on rght now. You NEVER send the gun before you get the money, and you always make sure you check the FFL out on EZ-check.

Best
  • Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually it's the buyer who's concerned about fraud [:)]

If you're concerned about cc fraud, don't accept a cc.

If you're concerned about bad checks (even money orders or cashiers checks), do not ship the gun until the check clears your bank.

Just make sure that you clearly state all of this in your auction terms. If people don't like your terms they shouldn't bid. But also understand that if you make your auction terms too stringent, fewer people may bid. Bottom line, everything has some degree of risk, so you need to find a balance between feeling comfortable and your auction being "user friendly" to potential buyers.

Johnny
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What they said-
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not use a reserve auction, MOST buyers ignore them. Put your starting price at the rock bottom dollar you will accept. Make sure you describe the gun accurately with good photos.

Let the buyer know you are NOT an FFL holder so he can make sure his FFL will accept the shipment from you. You will most likely need to send a copy of your drivers license with the gun. The receiving FFL has to have a record of where he got it and who he transferred it to.

It is legal to mail a rifle to a FFL. You should state the shipping cost in your listing, see LOCUST FORK as an example of how to do it right. Long guns cost 30-40 bucks to ship.

Make sure you come back to the forum and list your sale in the general discussion forum, it will generate more bids.

Accept only postal money orders, shipped with the FFL copy and do not worry about new buyers, we were all a NR buyer at one time.

Welcome to the forums and the best of luck to you!!
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    In these troubled times many people who were never interested in an AR suddenly are and after seeing the empty shelves in the local stores they move to Gun Broker...Where there is always plenty of everything! Even I was a non rated bidder/seller at one point in time so we all had to get our foot in the door with that first bid. Excellent advice has already been given and if you follow it you should ahve no problems getting top $$$ for your items here on GB.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    In these troubled times many people who were never interested in an AR suddenly are and after seeing the empty shelves in the local stores they move to Gun Broker...Where there is always plenty of everything! Even I was a non rated bidder/seller at one point in time so we all had to get our foot in the door with that first bid. Excellent advice has already been given and if you follow it you should [have] no problems getting top $$$ for your items here on GB.

Yep.

I just sold a Mini-14 (he actually bid and won before the full extent of panic-buying and got a great price) to a NR bidder. It was a super-smooth transaction, the same as the other transactions I've had with NR bidders before. I wouldn't expect problems just because someone is new to GunBroker.

As a buyer, I'd be more cautious buying from someone with no feedback, but as a seller, I see little to be concerned with. The item doesn't ship until I'm sure I have good payment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Do not use a reserve auction, MOST buyers ignore them. Put your starting price at the rock bottom dollar you will accept. Make sure you describe the gun accurately with good photos.

Let the buyer know you are NOT an FFL holder so he can make sure his FFL will accept the shipment from you. You will most likely need to send a copy of your drivers license with the gun. The receiving FFL has to have a record of where he got it and who he transferred it to.

It is legal to mail a rifle to a FFL. You should state the shipping cost in your listing, see LOCUST FORK as an example of how to do it right. Long guns cost 30-40 bucks to ship.

Make sure you come back to the forum and list your sale in the general discussion forum, it will generate more bids.

Accept only postal money orders, shipped with the FFL copy and do not worry about new buyers, we were all a NR buyer at one time.

Welcome to the forums and the best of luck to you!!

First I want to say thank you guys for all of your replies. This post will be quite long, as I hope everyone will take time to read it and help me. Thanks

I know everyone was an NR at one time or another, but many people will do things that they normally would not do during desperate times like we are facing now about a possible gun ban.

I too will be a NR but as a seller. Here is why I will be a NR even though I bought a gun here before.

I bought a Glock 22 about two years ago from an auction on the Gunbrokers auction site. I do not remember if the guy who sold me the gun was an FFL or not, but I had it shipped to a local gun shop who has a FFL license. The seller had bad email communication skills, and it took a long time like (two weeks) before he would even respond to me, after my credit card showed a payment made to him in 2 days. After the two weeks he finally responded to me, and told me it was shipped, but the the local license FFL gun shop owner, did not even bother to call me and tell me he received the gun even though my phone number was on the box. (I wondered if I could even trust him) It took me calling the local license FFL gun shop myself, and he then said that the gun had come in. Well when I got there, he called in for a back ground check on me, and told me he wrote it in as a used gun, because the gun had been fired, and thus not new. He then said that he had cleaned it for me, while I was on my way to pick it up. I really did not know which guy to believe as to me getting a NEW Glock 22 from the Gunbroker seller.

Do to the bad email communication from the seller, the late shipment, and possibly used gun, rather then leaving negative feedback I left none and thus he left none for me. That is why I will be a NR seller should I sell this gun. Maybe you can now see why I am a bit skeptical about all of this.

Can I a non FFL member ship the gun to the buyers FFL?
    If not, and I do try using this same local FFL gun shop owner to ship the gun to the buyers FFl, how can I protect myself as to being shipped to the buyers FFL having no tracking number of my own, and get a "proof of sell" to protect me should the feds contact me if there is ever an issue with this gun?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short answer; a NON-FFL can not ship a HANDGUN to anyone. A handgun must go FFL to FFL. Good communication is the key to success. Talk to your FFL let him know what you wnat dine and figure his fees as part of the deal.

GB has a nice list of FFL holders that will do transfers from GB buyers and sellers. Check that list for one in your area.

A rifle is a different matter.
  • Options
    edited November -1

What do you mean by this?
    As I posted to begun this thread, it is a Colt AR-15 rifle I am looking to sell. Would this rifle be different?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That means you, or anyone that is legal to posses the said rifle, or long gun(meaning rifle or shotgun), can ship it to a licensed FFL, by federal law. Some state laws don't allow it. A handgun must go FFL, to FFL. It used to be that the owner could ship a handgun back to the factory, without an FFL involved for repair, but I do not believe they even allow this now.

Best
  • Options
    goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short answer; a NON-FFL can not ship a HANDGUN to anyone. A handgun must go FFL to FFL. Good communication is the key to success. Talk to your FFL let him know what you wnat dine and figure his fees as part of the deal.

GB has a nice list of FFL holders that will do transfers from GB buyers and sellers. Check that list for one in your area.

Someone is wrong on this. GunBroker says different then you do. http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1118

Maybe you need to educate them. I am sure a forum moderator would not get it wrong?

Need to update the sticky here on shipping guns and ammo also. Clearly says you can ship a handgun to a FFL holder.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Incorrect. A private party can ship a handgun to a FFL dealer using Fedex or UPS next day air.