In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Auction C&R handgun, private to C&R FFL

travelinbobtravelinbob Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
Hi, I'm auctioning a CZ52 (C&R eligible) and a bidder asked if he can use his C&R FFL to ship directly to him. I am not an FFL holder, and the sale would be out of state. I'm leery of this. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got to get all your ducks in a row, regarding C & R guns. Some of the commie states and cities. Won't allow shipment, to 03 C & R licensees.

As long as he has a 03 C & R license. And he resides in a state or city that allows it. Your OK. Make extremely sure of this, before you ship the CZ anywhere.

That said, I personally use a local 01 dealer to ship guns. He handles, all the required legalities and shipment. And I don't have to worry, about any BS, from California, Chicago, NY or any of the other low life places.

EDIT #1,

If I understand your last post correctly? The C & R, who wants to buy your CZ 52, lives in Maryland. Because of this I would follow Neal's advice, in having your local 01 FFL do the shipping and paperwork. Because he is a FFL dealer, not only can he ship it cheaper through the USPS. But will make sure, that all the Maryland requirements and paperwork. Are correct prior to shipment. After all if he doesn't, his business will be toast.

In some cases, in my personal experience. The individual state gun laws can cause you severe legal problems. If you don't jump through there hoops. Another reason to let a 01 FFL, handle the transaction.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So long as the buyer is not in CA, NJ or NY, should not be a problem. A C&R IS a FFL- just for a collector instead of a dealer. Of course, it only applies to C&R firearms.

The reason that I got my 03 C&R FFL back in 1976 was so that I COULD buy firearms and have them shipped directly to me. That saves me paying a dealer $50-$100 to receive that for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did some more digging. Looks like Conn, DC, HI, IL, MA, MD and RI all require any handgun purchaser to at least fill out some type of official form.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's your auction, & you can make up any rules you want, but you should have listed them in your auction description.

As long as you get a signed copy of the buyer's 03 FFL, there's no problem in your shipping to most states. I usually go by the state restrictions on the AIM Surplus website. One error: the CZ52 CAN be shipped to a C&R in MD (since the mag isn't > 10.)

I would think it would be cheaper for the buyer to have it shipped to an 01 FFL, as you MUST ship only FedEx or UPS Next Day Air (signature required), likely costing $80. You CANNOT send or receive a handgun via USPS.

Neal
  • Options
    jetmekjetmek Member Posts: 250
    edited November -1
    I would be cautious about shipping handguns out of state and insist on going through a class 01. Many states dont care if its a bb gun or hand cannon. Its still a handgun and laws are much more restrictive.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nmyers- I updated my auction best I could, hope its enough. As far as MD goes, I used to work there, called Continental Arms in Cockeysville. They told me that yes, a C&R FFl can buy direct, he still needs to fill out the state police paperwork for a handgun, but can skip the NICS check. So I don't know where that leaves me- if he doesn't bother with the state paper work still in my possession? Damifiknow
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problem with a C&R handgun going to Ilinois. Problem is shipping costs. May be cheaper to go through an FFL.