In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Correct Grips?

grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt "The Woodsman" ser. 116XXX(ca. 1937) that I inherited from my Dad. All the pictures I have seen of these pistols of this serial number range show walnut panels. I'd like to find the correct grips to replace the plastic thumbrest ones that I suspect are aftermarket on it. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either lucking out on flea bay. Or springing, for modern made high quality replicas. Neither will be cheap.

Checkered high quality walnut, from a custom maker. Will set you back over $100.

Don't know the condition of your dad't pistol? If it has a appreciable amount of honest wear, given that it's 80 years old. New repo grips, are going to look phony. I have run across many guns, over the years like that. Mismatch in wear, between new grips and well worn blue. Stand out like a sore thumb.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the inside of those grips for the name "W. MURAD" and/or "The Pointer". They're collector pieces now, and bring some decent prices.
    EDIT:
    Can you post a pic of the ones you have?
    If they look like these with no inside markings, they may be the ones that King sold. They came in Black, like these, Brown, and Ivory.

4f73afe7-7048-423d-9788-9516d44d20d9_fullsize.jpg
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post in the wanted forum. Start searching the auction regularly https://www.GunBroker.com/Pistol-Grips/search. You can do the same on flea bay and other sites. Hit the gun shows and ask around.

This might work better as the other link search function needs some love.

https://www.GunBroker.com/Pistol-Grips/search?Keywords=colt woodsman grips&Sort=13&PageSize=24&View=1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    Check the inside of those grips for the name "W. MURAD" and/or "The Pointer". They're collector pieces now, and bring some decent prices.

No markings at all inside the grips. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Either lucking out on flea bay. Or springing, for modern made high quality replicas. Neither will be cheap.

Checkered high quality walnut, from a custom maker. Will set you back over $100.

Don't know the condition of your dad't pistol? If it has a appreciable amount of honest wear, given that it's 80 years old. New repo grips, are going to look phony. I have run across many guns, over the years like that. Mismatch in wear, between new grips and well worn blue. Stand out like a sore thumb.

Condition is really good, as it resided in a dresser drawer for 95% of it's life. Dad got it in trade for a tank of diesel fuel at my uncle's truck stop in about 1946, then put it away, except for the few times we took it out to shoot. I shot it to qualify for my CHL, and again to renew (standard velocity ammo only). I'll keep an eye on the auction side and Fleabay. Thanks a lot for your info and suggestions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    EDIT:
    Can you post a pic of the ones you have?
    If they look like these with no inside markings, they may be the ones that King sold. They came in Black, like these, Brown, and Ivory.

4f73afe7-7048-423d-9788-9516d44d20d9_fullsize.jpg

Not anything like those, they are brown/black fake wood looking plastic.
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Then they could be grips from a Colt Challenger or similar. Can you show us a picture of the grips in question ?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Knifecollector
    Then they could be grips from a Colt Challenger or similar. Can you show us a picture of the grips in question ?

The original Woodsman made between 1916 and 1946. Had a frame with a short grip. Post 1946 Woodsman's, Challenger, and similar pistols. That Colt made in the 50's. Had a long grip frame. That weren't compatible with the pre 1946 pistols stocks.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grdad45
    I have a Colt "The Woodsman" ser. 116XXX(ca. 1937) that I inherited from my Dad. All the pictures I have seen of these pistols of this serial number range show walnut panels. I'd like to find the correct grips to replace the plastic thumbrest ones that I suspect are aftermarket on it. Any ideas?

The more expensive grips listed are wood, the less expensive are plastic.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/colt/auto-pistols-colt/woodsman-pre-war
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were plastic grips which would be marked 'Coltwood' that were made by Colt and were an option. They were sort of faux wood, in a phenolic plastic like Bakelite.