In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M-1 Garand, barrel peening

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
Sooo....my M-1 rifle continues to shoot straight, true, and reliable, however when cleaning it today after the range session, I noticed that the top of the barrel, where the bolt and extractor first make contact as the bolt comes home is starting to peen up and out ever so slightly. Is this cause for concern or is this just the barrel breaking in? Is this perhaps an issue with springs?

For the record the rifle was lubricated with grease and was fired with HXP surplos M2 ball. In addition I also have a garand gear ported gas plug that increases the volume of the gas cylinder also helping to reduce peak pressures. The op-rod is still nice and tight with barely and play whatsoever. Serial Number is a 6 digit SA and the barrel is a SA barrel 57.

I got the rifle from the CMP several years ago as a gift from my wife (yup I know, I picked a good one[8D])

20180520_181824_zps8ezejkq8.jpg

20180520_181830_zpsc0y4hygt.jpg

20180520_181936_zpsvdufl527.jpg

Edit: I'm not sure of what the round count is exactly...maybe around d 2tbousand since I've had It? Probably less. Throat was at 1+ or 2 when I got the rifle from the cmp.

Edit: the metal shavings on the charging handle are not actualy shavings...at least not from steel. They are from casings and powder residue, I had not yet cleaned the rifle yet.

Edit: So I went back and did some counting of purchases of ammo and what not....turns out the round count is likely more like 3,000....I guess I shoot more than I thought. Either way that should still put the barrel in the range with plenty of service life left....It certainly still rings the 8inch plate at 200 yards all day long!!

BTT

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting. Round count so far is? Looks to me the bolt is raising or tipping up up on the extraction stroke. Could be anything from normal tolerances too tight at that zone, too big a roller, not enough milling on the deck.

I would load for it if it were mine.

Looking forward to real pro's answers on the M1. I enjoyed shooting them, not carrying or working on them.

added Thanks for the update.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm only a parts changer, but .... I do know that new M1 rifle barrels are "short chambered". That is, the chamber end is too long, & must be shortened until the headspace can be obtained. (Seems to me that this should be called "long chambered", but that's beyond my knowledge.)

You really shouldn't be getting that peening. Since the rifle came from CMP, you may want to send them photos & ask what they think. My guess is that they will offer to inspect & correct any problem without charge.

Neal
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    nm, a 'short' chambered barrel is just that. the bolt will NOT close on a 'go' gage, or a correct live round...it must be 'cut' deeper with a chamber reamer. A 'long' chambered barrel is just the opposite, the abutting shoulder(s) must be cut back untill a 'go' gage will chamber.

as to the 'peening', either the releave cut for the bolt is slightly under size (probable),or the bolt is some how misallined with the chamber.
    easy fix is to polish a little off the top of the bolt where it is hitting the barrel, proper fix is to remove the barrel and cut the back end slightly larger where the bolt is hitting.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Never had a Garand, but I do have a m1carbine, a mini14, and am familiar with the rotating bolt concept.
    It (from your good pix) appears that possibly the extractor may not have empty space between it and the bolt head/face, and might be slowly wearing itself a tight fitting slot for when it turns.
    Test that theory with a Sharpie or wax pencil on the upper portion of the bolt/extractor, then run the bolt a couple times to see.

I'm concerned about the metal shavings in the close-up of the cocking handle; were they just accumulation from disuse, or did they happen while you worked the bolt?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So I talked to some of the folks over at the CMP and apparently this is a normal thing. Several of them have told me that there rifles are like this and you see it overtime....

Just thought I would post it here for posterity.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd get a 2nd opinion if I were you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=best+m1+garand+builder&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS750US750&oq=M1+garand+builder&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l3.9669j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

EDIT: If this were 'normal' don't you think one of the Mods/Admin would have said so?
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW: My old Winchester has a serial number that dates it to early '44. The barrel is an SA and has a date of 11-43 on it. The barrel looks just like yours with that ridge/flange/burr above the bolt nose. I have a Springfield and an HRA, that came from the CMP, but they're tucked way back in the safe and I don't feel like digging them out just now. The round count on the Winchester is probably pretty high; My records show I've put 330 rounds through it and it was a loaner at a gun club before I got it.

EDIT: I've changed my mind (curiosity does that to me sometimes!) and checked the other two. The HRA has a very slight burr but the Springfield has a pretty good one--not to the extent as the Winchester, but noticeable if you look for it. I'm not going to tell you not to worry about it, but I'm not going to worry about mine.

EDIT II: Two things about your post that surprise me: First is that even though I read your post early on, I did not check my Garands. My Winchester was right near my right elbow as I read your post!! The other thing is that no one else checked their Garands, either.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    From what I'm being told by the cmp folks this happens overtime and it's normal....it will normally coincide with tthe wear on your follower. The upward travel of the follower on the boltcauses it to do this on barrels over time. Keep it greased and it should be fine.

If the CMP says it's good to go...than it's good to go.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a real gun company said "yeah that's normal" all would call that BS and proceed to slam them.

So how does the bolt look? I take it the barrel is softer than the bolt.