In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1st gen Colt SAA ?

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
I don't have much experience with Colt Single Action Armys but where does the price start at for a 1st gen made before 1900 Colt SAA? I am referring to complete and functional, caliber not overly important and original. On the low end with no finish but still still meeting the other criteria.

I know 1st gen Colts were made up until 1941 but for the purpose of my value question I am asking about pre 1900 made SAAs, I know they usually command a little more but like I said, I haven't dealt in them much.

By original I mean what original used to mean, complete with no swapped out newer parts, not reblued etc.

So where does the price start out? What can a person get into one for in the condition I describe?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I sort of collect early first gen colts I don't want to sound rude but your question is sort of like asking " what does a used 3 bed room house sell for The older a saa is that has original parts and shooting condition the more costly it will be. lowest price still over $2000.00$
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not going to try to give a $$, the question is too nebulous. Prices vary widely based on things like caliber, barrel length, year of manufacture, markings, history and especially condition. No finish condition can mean anything from serious rust pitting to over cleaned (recently or long ago) or heavily used and worn.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello I sort of collect early first gen colts I don't want to sound rude but your question is sort of like asking " what does a used 3 bed room house sell for The older a saa is that has original parts and shooting condition the more costly it will be. lowest price still over $2000.00$

That IS what I'm asking.

So $2000 is the approximate starting point for one that fits my criteria. I was looking for the bottom value for original.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have looked at many here and I think 2k will get you a "good" one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper
    I have looked at many here and I think 2k will get you a "good" one.

That's what I was going for, the starting price basically.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why 1900?
    The US cutoff for antiques is the end of 1898.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Why 1900?
    The US cutoff for antiques is the end of 1898.

Yep, that wasn't important to me. Was just looking for a general guideline of old Colts that i don't have much experience with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For those wondering I was planning on buying 2 pre 1900 Saas a year for the next 10 or so years and leaving them to my two children. I sell about 3500 guns a year in my store but rarely get any Saas traded in.

I don't deal in them so I came here for a starting point. I could do the same thing with colt snake guns or old Winchesters, two things I deal with frequently but thought with my geographical area, Saas are rare so they would have higher appreciation.

Thanks for your answers, they were helpful even though I think some of you were thinking I was trying to pin down a specific value on a certain gun, which I wasn't.

Thanks.
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From strictly an appreciation stand point, I'm 99% sure that a NIB snake gun would be a much better investment than an antique SAA.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are only two names in gun collecting for an investment...those two names are Winchester, and Colt. Buying them just because they are old, and all there, is not going to get you mileage. A beat up all original Colt, or Winchester, is just that, and not of much collector interest. It is still a possible shooter, but that is about it. However, I don't see the value doing anything but going up, if they can be purchased right.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to consider other investments to leave money to your kids. The value of anything collectable is strictly what somebody is willing to pay for it. And you have to be very knowledgeable about what you are buying (and your kids later selling) so as not to be taken advantage of. As those of us age and pass along who grew up in the era of numerous western TV and movies, the population of potential buyers for old Colt SAAs and Winchesters is declining. I'm afraid the wave is cresting, if it hasn't already.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With all due respect I disagree. I have done pretty well with
    guns other than Colt and Winchester. I consider doubling and sometimes tripling my investment in a few years an ok investment. As always you make money when you buy them and I see folks paying what I feel are inflated prices for Colts today. I think they may be in for a rude surprise in a few years when it's time to sell. Just my opinion.quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    There are only two names in gun collecting for an investment...those two names are Winchester, and Colt. Buying them just because they are old, and all there, is not going to get you mileage. A beat up all original Colt, or Winchester, is just that, and not of much collector interest. It is still a possible shooter, but that is about it. However, I don't see the value doing anything but going up, if they can be purchased right.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    With all due respect I disagree. I have done pretty well with
    guns other than Colt and Winchester. I consider doubling and sometimes tripling my investment in a few years an ok investment. As always you make money when you buy them and I see folks paying what I feel are inflated prices for Colts today. I think they may be in for a rude surprise in a few years when it's time to sell. Just my opinion.quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

We can agree to disagree.