In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

PSA 9mm carbine?

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have a PSA 9mm,that has hang fired since I put it together.I shortened the recoil spring,but now it still hangs ,but in a different local?....any suggestions? I was told I needed a true 9mm spring?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hang fire is usually associated with a delay after the primer has been hit. It sounds like you have a failure to feed/cycle issue.

If cutting back the spring didn't work then, you try can different ammo with perhaps a hotter loading, a new longer/stronger spring. De-burring all the working surfaces and proper lube can help too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJBYSQf2bfo
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How are you defining "hang fire" ?

Did you buy a complete gun, or parts and pieces?

My 9mm AR is based on a complete PSA glock mag lower. Upper was gathered from parts, but using a Spinta bolt and NFA barrel. No jams, no issues of any kind in almost 1000 rounds.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My WAG, from your description. Is that your having fail to feed jambs. Check the transition area, on the upper. Where the bolt first forces, the cartridge out of the magazine. Into the chamber of the barrel. Specifically the ramp area, between the upper and the barrel,

Either poor/rough machining of this transition area. Or to much slop between the the top of the mag and this feed trough. Could be causing your problems.

Try different, better quality 9 mm magazines. As your first step, to correct problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am using Glock 17 mags...Winchester 9mm nato ammo...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Hang fire is usually associated with a delay after the primer has been hit. It sounds like you have a failure to feed/cycle issue.

If cutting back the spring didn't work then, you try can different ammo with perhaps a hotter loading, a new longer/stronger spring. De-burring all the working surfaces and proper lube can help too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJBYSQf2bfo
    I think this will solve problem,thanks to all that replied!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    I am using Glock 17 mags...Winchester 9mm nato ammo...

Never had any problem, with original Glock magazines. Nowadays though, other manufacturers are making magazines for Glocks. Never used them myself, so can't comment on their reliability.

The 9 mm AR has a controlled feed mechanism. This requires the face of the bolt, to push the base of the cartridge out of the magazine. As this happens, the rim of the cartridge is forced upward. Between the rear face of the extractor and front face of the bolt.

This might be the problem area in you carbine. Get hold of some 9 mm dummies. Cycle the bolt, with the dummies loaded in the mag. Make sure, as the move forward into the chamber. The rim is properly engage by the extractor. And isn't binding. Causing your FTF Jamb.

Might give different ammo a try also. There is a lot of variation in 9 mm ammo. You might have better luck with other than the Win., you are now using.