In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 77/22-RP with Black Zytel Stock

farmplinkerfarmplinker Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
I won a Ruger 77/22-RP All-Weather .22LR rifle in a gun raffle over a decade ago, and have never shot it. It is NIB (with the rings and other stuff that came with it), and I'm thinking of selling it, as I have plenty of other .22 rifles. This is the one with the black Zytel stock, which I see a lot of people call the "boat paddle" stock.

This is a photo of my rifle:

Ruger%2077-22%20.22lr%20right%20side%20full%20cropped%20R_zpsg0iwjy9b.jpg

I looked on the GB auctions, and am not coming up with much, other than one guy who has repeatedly listed his at $1,495 with no takers.

Does anyone have a good idea of what it is worth?

Edited to include a photo of my actual rifle.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.GunBroker.com/item/774807764

Found a used one in "good shape" with a Weaver scope asking $750.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the earliest ones with a greenish stock, zytel inserts for the hand and forend grip panels, and the stock formed the trigger guard too. Used it for squirrel hunting - not a bad rifle. The price paid for it was < $300 and this was around 1989.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember when the came out, must have been 25 years ago. They were ugly as sin, and nobody wanted them. Wondered what the heck Ruger was thinking? That flattened plastic stock, looked like it was a rejected cricket bat.

Fast forward 25 years, Since nobody wanted or bought them. They have become, a desirable low production collectors item.

Go over to the Ruger forum. One of there boards, is based on Ruger collectibles. Post your question over there, if none of our folks. Can shed any light, on current FMV.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it looks exactly like that, then you do not have the boat paddle stock...sorry, those were early models, and are highly collectable now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    If it looks exactly like that, then you do not have the boat paddle stock...sorry, those were early models, and are highly collectable now.

Good catch. Mine does not look like that one. Mine has the thin boat paddle stock, with stainless barrel. I will have to correct my first post with an accurate picture. I'm on my tablet now and am not finding it easy to fix.

So, are you saying the ones with the boat paddle stock are more or less valuable than the erroneous photo?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by farmplinker
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

Good catch. Mine does not look like that one. Mine has the thin boat paddle stock, with stainless barrel. I will have to correct my first post with an accurate picture. I'm on my tablet now and am not finding it easy to fix.

So, are you saying the ones with the boat paddle stock are more or less valuable than the erroneous photo?

In good shape, they double the price. I have seen the "Boat Paddle Stock" models sell for well north of $1k, in both rimfire, and center fire.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put it on here and plug the auction of the General Discussion and it will bring what it is worth. A NIB is a big plus BUT right now during summer it has been producing lower prices as with about all other firearms here.
    imo-700-800 retail
    I sold a 270 here about 3 months ago for 600.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The older ones with the scalloped "boat paddle" stocks also had stainless sling loops instead of the detachable sling studs. Always liked the loops for slinging a rifle without the additional attachments made for a whole lot quieter arrangement when stalking/still hunting. Now, the old stocks fetch a premium if you can find them on ebay.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I edited my first post with a photo of my actual rifle. It is the boat paddle stock with the unusual stainless sling loops. Mine has black inserts, not green.