In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Removing Redfield one piece ring, from K 4 Weaver?

rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
Want to utilize a old K 4 Weaver. Rear Redfield ring came off easy, when I unscrewed eyepiece from Weaver. The Front ring, even when spread apart to the max. Won't clear front bell of scope. How the heck do you get it off?

Comments

• TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can remove the adjustment knobs and housing, or you can cut it off with a die grinder like I did.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tflogger
    You can remove the adjustment knobs and housing, or you can cut it off with a die grinder like I did.

Thanks! That's what I was afraid of. [:(] This K4 Weaver scope, must be a lot older, than I though it was. Taking scopes apart, to get the rings on. Went out with the Model T. I'm just going to let, Mr Dremel, have at it. When he gets done, it's going to be a 2 piece ring.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "it's going to be a 2 piece ring."'''''''''''uh, standard 'weaver' rings are 2 piece. 2 screws on one side and a 'j' clamp one the other (that slips off.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    "it's going to be a 2 piece ring."'''''''''''uh, standard 'weaver' rings are 2 piece. 2 screws on one side and a 'j' clamp one the other (that slips off.

It's a 2 piece now Mike,[:D] But the original one was one piece. The scope had to be disassembled, to get the forward ring on. My guess is, that it would date to the 50's at the latest. Apparently keeping the innards of scopes sealed, wasn't a big thing back then.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Apparently keeping the innards of scopes sealed, wasn't a big thing back then."

And therein lies the basis of "fogging scopes".