In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Baby Hammerless revolver information?

WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
I came into this pistol in an estate I worked with. Was pretty rusty. Nothing moved. After a good soak in rust remover and some light sanding everything moves.

It's missing the trigger mechanism and the finish is peeling.

Can anyone provide any details? Any estimated value if I were to put it up for auction?

Thanks!

IMG_4566.JPG
IMG_4567.JPG
IMG_4568.JPG
IMG_4569.JPG
IMG_4570.JPG
IMG_4571.JPG
IMG_4566.JPG
”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- GEORGE ORWELL -

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a good summary of the Columbian/ Kolb/ Sedgley Baby Hammerless revolvers- https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/KolbBH/kolbbh.html

I have a couple or 3 of the little critters around- cuter than a baby kitten, and as accurate as a thrown folding chair. Definitely meant for "powder burn" effective range. Unfortunately, quality of the steel (especially springs) left a LOT to be desired- they are commonly found with missing/ broken parts.

Yes, that is real mother-of-pearl- commonly used, nickelplate was standard, blue is scarce. There was a late model that was a topbreak, and even a .32. Going price for one missing key parts will be.... low. Sorry.

One of mine belonged to my step-mom's granny. After her death, stepmom was going thru a trunk in the attic, and found some interesting history. Seems Granny had been a dance hall girl out west at the turn of the century, and in the trunk was her early model Baby Hammerless, and a half box of Lesmok ammo.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, the left mother of pearl grip. Appears to have a chip out of it. If it wasn't for that, the grips, would have sold for a quite respectable sum on the auctions. They are still sellable though, IMHO. The mainspring if not broken, might also be worth something.

Although the patent dates are prior, to the 1898 cutoff for antique firearms. Likely it was made much later, during the Kolb/Sedgley era. Take care where you ship it. You wouldn't want to wind up n hot water, for something like this.