In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lefaucheux Pinfire "Guardian" revolver info?

WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
Appears to be a Type Lefaucheux pinfire revolver - "The Guardian, American Model of 1878".

I came into this pistol in an estate I worked with. It was rusted solid. Nothing moved. After a good soak in rust remover and some light sanding everything moves. There are no markings other than the 3 shown in the pictures.

Can anyone provide any details? Any estimated value if I were to put it up for auction?

Thanks!

IMG_4525.JPG
IMG_4526.JPG
IMG_4527.JPG
IMG_4528.JPG
IMG_4529.JPG
IMG_4531.JPG
IMG_4532.JPG
”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- GEORGE ORWELL -

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your pic's could use some work. I think the value of both your old pistols is low. Condition is poor and so was the quality even when new; Saturday Night Specials at best. If they old Colt's or S&W's they might be worth a few bucks.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Proof Marks are Belgian. Probably dating prior to 1891. The Belgians were the makers, of most of the inexpensive personal protection handguns. In Europe, prior to the German invasion in 1914.

Because of this, and it's condition, not especially valuable.

To get the best price on the auction. I would sandblast it, to blend in the surface pitting. Than Cerrcoat it with black paint. To make it look nice, as a wall hanger for a man cave.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This pistol & the little revolver are what I call "steak house" guns; i.e., they would be of value only to the interior designer who nails old guns & farm implements onto the walls of rustic restaurants.

I don't think that you would get > $10 for each. Sorry, this is a "tough love" website.

Neal
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you put the Baby hammerless up here, please let us know. I could use the springs and cylinder pin for one of mine.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kinda looks like this guy...

https://goo.gl/images/m1pNVv
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WearyTraveler
    Kinda looks like this guy...

https://goo.gl/images/m1pNVv

The big 12 mm Lefaucheux revolvers, along with the Smith & Wesson Model 1. Were the most common cartridge revolvers used, in the, C*I*V*I*L W*A*R, The Union bought a little over, 12,000 between 1861 & 1863.

Yours is either a 8 or 9 mm. Much more used in Europe than the big 12 mm.