In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Arasaka Sporter 25-35 Caliber?

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in Ask the Experts
Picked up an Arasaka Model 38 sporter at an auction. It has an old Winchester 94 barrel that appears to be .25 caliber. On it is" Nickel Steel Barrel Especially for Smokeless Powder" and " Manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co, New Haven, Conn, USA" No caliber is listed. The stock is a nice walnut sporter with a buttplate labeled WIN AMER CO, Weseco Minnesota USA. The trigger is a Timney. Obviously this is a custom rifle made a long time ago. Workmanship is excellent. However I don't have a clue about the caliber. Japanese 6.5 ammo won't chamber but will feed through the magazine to the point where the action begins to cock. A 6.5 Japanese bullet only goes a very short distance into the barrel at the muzzle. Do you think it could be chambered in 25-35 caliber or 250 Savage. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be anything, a chamber cast would be the best bet to actually find out. Perhaps it was a shot barrel that has been re-rifled or even lined. Back in the day people used cheap military action to make sporters. Some even learned gunsmithing by making up stuff with free parts.

My guess 257 Roberts, with luck Ackley Improved.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Could be anything, a chamber cast would be the best bet to actually find out. Perhaps it was a shot barrel that has been re-rifled or even lined. Back in the day people used cheap military action to make sporters. Some even learned gunsmithing by making up stuff with free parts.

My guess 257 Roberts, with luck Ackley Improved.

+1, For the chamber cast. Only safe way to actually no, what it's chambered for.

Very common to rework Japanese rifles into sporters. Back in the day. The Winchester barrel, is definitely a oddity though. Rebarreling and rechambering, a Winchester lever action barrel, for a Arisaka type 38. Was way beyond the skill level, of most hobby gunsmiths.

Most of the Type 38's that were reworked into sporters, that I ran across. Were rechambered for a wildcat round. That was a .257 Roberts, that was opened up to take a 6.5 diameter bullet. This was the easiests ,way to get around the unavailability of 6.5 Arisaka brass. RCBS use to have the custom dies, for reloading this wildcat.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most likely .250 Savage or .257 Roberts. Try those cases or do a chamber cast. Definitely measure the bore diameter to at least determine the bore caliber. Those Japs make a good, serviceable rifle.

You can use Bondo or a firm wax to make a chamber cast. Accurate enough for what you are trying to determine.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it turns out to be 25-35, modern brass is available.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pretty sure it's a .25 caliber. Winchester made the 1894 in 25-35 and that's what I think this barrel was originally. I tried 6mm, 6.5mm and .25 caliber bullets at the muzzle. 6mm was way too small; 6.5mm was slightly too large; and .25 caliber fit just right with about half the bullet going in. Tried to chamber a fired .250 Savage case and it was just slightly too large and the bolt handle wouldn't lock down. Then tried a factory .250 Savage live round and it chambered perfectly. Tomorrow I think I'll load a couple of these with Trail Boss, tie the rifle to a bench and fire it by a long string just to see what happens.
    If that doesn't tell the story then I'll do the chamber cast. ( or pick up the pieces)
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "( or pick up the pieces)"..........I don't think you'll have to do this, the arasaka is one of the strongest bolt actions ever made.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good news, I didn't blow up my gun and it turns out it is indeed a .250 Savage caliber. Fired one factory round from a safe distance away, then a dozen more from the shoulder. I'm very happy that it is a .250. I already have dies, ammo, and bullets. I remounted its vintage Weaver KV and am now ready for groundhogs next week and deer this Fall. Thanks to all for your interest and replies.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the early days of sporterizing surplus rifles, you used what came to hand. A takeoff or NOS Winchester barrel was fair game for the gunsmith.
    I recall one Gun Digest writer who said he might not have the only Mauser with an octagonal barrel, but he was sure he had the only one with Savage High Pressure Steel.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .250 Savage (AKA .250-3000) is one of my favorite cartridges. I was delighted when Savage chambered it in the model 14 in 2009. Of course I bought one. I think Ruger still makes some .250's in the 77 from time to time.

Good luck with your rifle and I hope you have fun with it.