In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Property Marked M&P S&W

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in Ask the Experts
https://www.GunBroker.com/Item/778641226

The seller says he has fired both 38 Special and 38 S&W in this gun and the 38 Special cases swelled up.

I'm guessing that means someone reamed out the cylinder?

I was also a little concerned that "there is a little harder trigger pull on two of the chambers." That just doesn't seem logical.
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first thought is the crane is bent, that would account for increased trigger pull on some chambers in double action. It might shoot 38 Specials but I doubt accurately.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since .38 S&W is a shorter, fatter cartridge, your guess is probably quite correct- cylinder bored out, accuracy will be very poor.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mismatched cylinder reamed to Special and not well fitted.
    I would pass.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Worked on a pre Model 18, (Combat Masterpiece). With similar problem(s), recently.

First thing would be to check tightness of extractor rod. The old pre 1960 Smiths, had right hand threads. On there extractor rods. Only a little loosening, would cause binding of the cylinder.

I wasn't so lucky with the above Combat Masterpiece. Some previous owner, switched extractor rods with another Smith. It was .006 to long. Making the problem even worse.

Taking .006 off the extractor rod. And lock tighting it. So the the right hand thread, couldn't unscrew fixed it.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies.

I didn't notice the Buy-Now feature. I was interested in it for a friend who wants a property marked gun because some friend of his carried one in Vietnam.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    https://www.GunBroker.com/Item/778641226

The seller says he has fired both 38 Special and 38 S&W in this gun and the 38 Special cases swelled up.

I'm guessing that means someone reamed out the cylinder?

I was also a little concerned that "there is a little harder trigger pull on two of the chambers." That just doesn't seem logical.

Sometimes the ratchets have a burr or are cut differently, that can cause a difficult pull. Since the cylinder doesn't match the gun in this case that may be the issue. Or powder is built up where the crane and cylinder slip into each other.

A slightly different guess regarding reaming out. Alot of K frame Smiths went over to England, they were re-imported and reamed out to accept the 38 Special case. Of course the over-sized chamber caused the cases to swell and the over-sized bore didn't help accuracy. It's possible someone dropped a cylinder from one of those reworks on to this gun.