In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

L Fondsmith rifles

mirabilesmirabiles Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the Experts
Want info. on L. Fondsmith rifle 40 cal., 1/2 stock, Golcher lock, 40 in. bbl. I think it has been converted from flint to percussin. Hoffmans book says it is very rare. What is it worth ?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need quality close up photos. See link for instructions, on posting photos.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fondersmith, Luis. Strasburg Twp., Lancaster County, Penn. On the tax list of 1803. Being a half-stock it is doubtful was converted from flintlock. Half-stock rifles are certainly not rare unless of very high quality. You can check prices of half-stock rifles on GunBroker.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your question is akin to saying, "I have a Ford automobile, it is blue, what is the value?" Without the ability to see the details and condition, no one can give a value. Condition is paramount, and the details will determine the quality and rarity. Without those to go by, the best we could say is it is a decorative object, hang it on a wall.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    navc130, it is pretty fancy, silver thimbles, brass patch box several silver inlays. there is a copper plate by the nipple like a repair or flint, has a back action lock and I believe that the hammer has been extended. Has been in our family for well over 100 years.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mirabiles
    navc130, it is pretty fancy, silver thimbles, brass patch box several silver inlays. there is a copper plate by the nipple like a repair or flint, has a back action lock and I believe that the hammer has been extended. Has been in our family for well over 100 years.

Navc130's data, vis a vis the 1803 date. Doesn't seem to square with the "back action lock" on your rifle. These type of locks, were much more common in the percussion time frame. 30 to 40+ years, later than the 1803 date. Course it might be a son or grandson with the same name?
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    Fondersmith, Luis. Strasburg Twp., Lancaster County, Penn. On the tax list of 1803. Being a half-stock it is doubtful was converted from flintlock. Half-stock rifles are certainly not rare unless of very high quality. You can check prices of half-stock rifles on GunBroker. A back action lock puts it in the 1840+ period and definitely not a flintlock conversion. The copper piece by the nipple is to protect the wood from the percussion cap flash. Enhancement of German silver inlays is a plus. Quality of workmanship and CONDITION is everything. In the upper mid-west, in good+ condition, I would place the value between $500 - 1500. Difficult without pictures.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fondersmith, Luis. Strasburg Twp., Lancaster County, Penn. On the tax list of 1803. Being a half-stock it is doubtful was converted from flintlock. Half-stock rifles are certainly not rare unless of very high quality. You can check prices of half-stock rifles on GunBroker. A back action lock puts it in the 1840+ period and definitely not a flintlock conversion. The copper piece by the nipple is to protect the wood from the percussion cap flash. Enhancement of German silver inlays is a plus. Quality of workmanship and CONDITION is everything. In the upper mid-west, in good+ condition, I would place the value between $500 - 1500. Difficult without pictures.

Thank you Sir, if I can , I will send you some pictures.