In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 randomly stopped working...

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the Experts
So...my series 80 pistol's manual thumb safety just stopped working the other day. I found this out after cleaning it from a range day....basic field strip, cleaning, reassembly. Then I did a function check. When I pull the trigger with the thumb safety positively engaged, the safety disengages and the hammer falls all the way to the firing pin (not the half cock). I have disassembled the pistol entirely now and have found no broken parts.....any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With much humility may I suggest the first easiest answer - that reassembly may have not been done correctly???

I have done so - it's what I would check first

Field strip and inspect and reassemble as your first step

Mike
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 'Basic' Field strip of a M1911/M1911A1 does NOT require the removal of the thumb safety.

As suggested, take your pistol apart and put it together correctly.

And then SIOP taking it apart (beyond a real Basic Field Strip)

Just curious, but did the slide stop/thumb safety Plungers/spring disappear?

EDIT: With the new information, you might want to remove the thumb safety and see if it's broken. Although if the 'lug' (Forge can teach us the correct name) that acts at the hammer block if broken from the lever, I don't understand how the safety can move back to the off position.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's why I am confused...I simply did a basic field strip of this pistol as I have done numerous times before. Remove slide, barrel, recoil spring and associated components. Clean barrel, wipe of parts and rails with a mild cleaning oil, lubricate, reassemble.

The safety, or any of the other components in the actual frame (with the exception of the slide stop as required for field strip) never were removed.

EDIT. I have now disassembled the actual frame and is associated components. The safety seems to be completely intact as well as the other components such as the sear, hammer, etc. There is some slight shiny metal where sear and hammer rub each other in what appears to be normal wear as the parkerizing is not on those parts.

Edit #2

So..I have done as instructed Forge. With the pistol assembled, minus the grip safety I can put the safety and when i squeeze the trigger the hammer starts to rotate as as if it is trying to fall on the firing pin. The hammer does not fall however and the safety stays on now. However, when I then stop squeezing and take the safety off, the hammer falls to the half cock position. A little perplexed.

NOTE: when I reassembled the pistol I slightly stretched out the plunger tube spring and put a kink in it as every other 1911 I have ever seen was the same.

Edit 3: when I squeeze the pistol there is no movement...then when I start to squeeze very firmly there is a slight movement..that is when the hammer starts to act like it is trying to fall. If I only give a slight squeeze and take the safety off the hammer stays clocked. Only when I do the very firm squeeze and take the safety off will it then fall to the half cock.

Edit 4: now it does not matter how hard I squeeze....any reasonable squeeze and I still see the hammer want to rotate, then safety off and it falls to the half cock....continue to squeeze firm with safety on and the hammer and safety again both completely fall/disengage.

Edit 5: so when I engage the safety....and look very closely I can see the slightest of gaps between the safety lug and the sear leg...very slight...then when I press firmly on the trigger the gap disappears as the sear is pushed back...keep up the trigger squeeze and the safety is defeated and both fall.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Forge, thanks for the help, it does appear as you say. I'll take some pics and post.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    That's why I am confused...I simply did a basic field strip of this pistol as I have done numerous times before. Remove slide, barrel, recoil spring and associated components. Clean barrel, wipe of parts and rails with a mild cleaning oil, lubricate, reassemble.

The safety, or any of the other components in the actual frame (with the exception of the slide stop as required for field strip) never were removed.

EDIT. I have now disassembled the actual frame and is associated components. The safety seems to be completely intact as well as the other components such as the sear, hammer, etc. There is some slight shiny metal where sear and hammer rub each other in what appears to be normal wear as the parkerizing is not on those parts.

Edit #2

So..I have done as instructed Forge. With the pistol assembled, minus the grip safety I can put the safety and when i squeeze the trigger the hammer starts to rotate as as if it is trying to fall on the firing pin. The hammer does not fall however and the safety stays on now. However, when I then stop squeezing and take the safety off, the hammer falls to the half cock position. A little perplexed.

NOTE: when I reassembled the pistol I slightly stretched out the plunger tube spring and put a kink in it as every other 1911 I have ever seen was the same.

Edit 3: when I squeeze the pistol there is no movement...then when I start to squeeze very firmly there is a slight movement..that is when the hammer starts to act like it is trying to fall. If I only give a slight squeeze and take the safety off the hammer stays clocked. Only when I do the very firm squeeze and take the safety off will it then fall to the half cock.

Edit 4: now it does not matter how hard I squeeze....any reasonable squeeze and I still see the hammer want to rotate, then safety off and it falls to the half cock....continue to squeeze firm with safety on and the hammer and safety again both completely fall/disengage.

Edit 5: so when I engage the safety....and look very closely I can see the slightest of gaps between the safety lug and the sear leg...very slight...then when I press firmly on the trigger the gap disappears as the hammer the sear is pushed back...keep up the trigger squeeze and the safety is defeated and both fall.

THERE SHOULD BE NO GAP,,,,,,I'm not yelling, just making a point,,,,,,,see my last post re new safety,,,,,

Gotcha...and dont worry...I'm not afraid of caps[;)]...besides, I know I didn't put the gap there.

I will start with ordering the safety and getting pics
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dry fire every day. I took picks of some parts from lots of angles....hope they help. The pics are towards the bottom.

When I dry fire I raise the pistol, thumb the safety off and press...basicly practice for a draw and shoot scenario.

EDIT: more pics added with the safety.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ts7n4298ksnz0mf/AACn-cEJw4fcunYWSgSq-kHpa?dl=0
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Email sent. I just had a bit of an ephifinay