In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A5 Magnum

Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the Experts
I'm helping a friend part with his collection & have questions on a Browning A5 barrel. The receiver is marked Magnum with ser# 70V687-- & the barrel has the # VL796--. Other barrel markings are 12-75, 18.4, 3" & a single *. Also, the barrel is 27-1/2" with a very square end. Does this barrel belong with the receiver & has the barrel been shortened?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "70V687", is their code for a magnum, made in 1970.

The barrel might not be original to the receiver? One star denotes a full choke barrel. 18.4 millimeters is the metric equivalent for .724, i.e. Full choke.

The length doesn't seem correct, for a full choke barrel though? Check the I.D. diameter of the barrel with a dime, to see if it's full choke.

Steel shot became mandatory, shortly after the shotgun was made. Some previous owner, might have shot out the full choke. And the barrel was cut off to make it salable?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rufe. I didn't have a gauge to check the bore and the dime did drop in a little too far to be full choke.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Belgium barrels measure like that. So I have had 27.1/2" barrels that are full choke, our USA version of 28" full.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think for a good dime test it needs to be a silver one not a junk money Johnson one.

Actual printing on paper will get you the effective choke with that load.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I'll have to use an inside mich. The European length makes sense as he also has an A5 FN "Acier Special" that is 25-1/2".