In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pre-64 Win 94 with high grade wood?

user1919user1919 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the Experts
Is there any way to determine if a pre-64 Win 94 was manufactured with a high grade wood? I could get Winchester to do a history search but the auction ends in a few days.
The serial number is 2509574.
Also, can one tell is a Winchester or any rifle for that matter has been re=blued?

Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice wood. Most of the time a actual hands on inspection will reveal if the finish on the metal or wood has been redone. With dark poorly lit and focused pic's it can be very hard to tell.

Things to look for: If the wood isn't proud to the metal. Edges rounded off, screw holes that have been dragged out, stamping's that are very light.

added I'm not a 30-30 fan but I would buy it any day of the week for the current price of $736.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe there are any factory records available for a gun in that serial number range.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stampings are nice and sharp.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yep, that's the rifle/auction.
    Do you you think it's legit or not?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    pending a 'hands on' inspection I'll say its been refinished. Both metal and wood (nice job tho).
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it has been refinished, the person who did it is an extremely skilled restoration expert. That stated, I am leaning towards it being factory original. The fit & finish looks like typical Winchester factory work from the early 1960s.

As for the wood, it is definitely not "2X", but it is nicer than standard. Winchester referred to it as "Special". It would have been marked as such on the original factory box.

There are no surviving records for the late production pre-64 Winchester Model 94s.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any idea what you think it will go for? I'm watching another one that certainly doesn't have wood like that one does. if it auctions for $1200 or more then I'd rather the regular '94 that I'm watching.
    Thanks,
    Paul
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to be number 10, but doesn't it look like the screws on the right side are a bit buggered up, but the left ones are fine? If this gets locked because of the 10 post limit, open up another thread with a part 2....[:)]

Hang in there, it closes on a holiday weekend. Quite a few people loose interest/track about then..That's a trick that I learned quite awhile back[;)]
  • Options
    Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Model 94 from the original owner in Pennsylvania about 20 years back and it had high grade wood very similar to the one in the auction. My rifle was produced in 1958. The original owner said he bought the rifle off the rack at a local hardware store. I asked him about the wood being nicer than usual and he just shrugged. Although he bought it new, the box didn't come with the sale and he didn't remember much about the transaction. However, he did say he paid the going price for a standard Model 94. I know this won't help you much, but it does confirm these rifles occasionally came from the factory with ++ wood.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is helpful, thanks!
    My hunch is that this rifle will go for more than I want to spend.
    Actually, I won an auction on another '94 which is also in excellent condition but no fancy wood.
    I thought there was limit to the number of replies to a topic.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am no EXPERT. but I just smell refinish, expertly mind you. Just my thought after examining many firearms through the years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, yeah I don't think we'll ever know for sure.
    I won an auction for another '94. Hopefully, the fancy wood one goes for a lot more money. I was thinking that fancy wood one was maybe too fancy for me anyway. I think the wood is beautiful though.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you want a shooter your better off with the one you have, hate to get a hunting scar on wood like that...... just wanted to be 14
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ha, yeah I'm a collector-shooter! Like to have my cake and eat it too. I'm definitely not a TRUE collector though. I can't imagine not being able to shoot a firearm, that's the whole purpose.

quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    if you want a shooter your better off with the one you have, hate to get a hunting scar on wood like that...... just wanted to be 14